I can't tell who wrote the following quote, so I am not sure who to address
here.

Many years ago linguists chewed over the issue of whether the semantic analysis
of three place predicates can be broken down into a series of two place
predicates and discovered that the two are not semantically or grammatically
equivalent.

‘Bob gave a book to Sue' is not equivalent to e.g. ‘Bob caused Sue to have a
book’

I am not sure how this would impact the argument in formal logic, since
ordinary language and formal logic often part ways (e.g. ‘Bob is not unhappy’
does not equal ‘Bob is happy’), but it seems relevant in evaluating Peirce’s
claim.

---begin quote---

Many logicians have correctly observed
that you can replace any triadic relation by three dyadic relations
plus an additional quantified variable. In a graph, the node thatte
represents the variable will be linked to the three dyadic relations.

For example, consider the following sentence and its translation
to two different formulas in predicate calculus:

x gives y to z.
∃x ∃y ∃z gives(x,y,z).
∃x ∃y ∃z ∃w (give(w) & agent(w,x) & theme(w,y) & recipient(w,z))

---end quote---