Hi Gary F, List,

Gary F:  "The implication is that the form of the “scroll” is in some way
appropriate to its object, instead of being arbitrarily assigned to that
object."

The guiding idea for developing each sort of figure in the EG, such as the
scroll, is to construct a diagram in which the parts of the figure stand in the
same sorts of formal relations as the things we are trying to represent--such
as the relation of antecedent and consequent in the conditional de inesse. As
such, we need to carefully analyze the relations between the parts of
propositions that express such a conditional, and then we need to see if the
figure we are using as a diagram has the same sorts of relations--no more and
no less. In order to make that comparison, we will need to arrive at a clear
understanding of what kinds of relations are elemental in our experience
generally--and then we will need to draw on that account of the relations that
are elemental for the sake of examining how those elemental relations figure
into (a) the assertion of a conditional proposition and (b) in the construction
of such a diagrammatic figure.

As far as I can tell, the same procedure is being applied to the construction
of blot as an iconic representation of logical absurdity. In this case, we need
to see that the same relations holds through the topological transformation of
the diagrammatic figure as it is made to disappear. As such, it might look like
a sleight of hand, but the question is whether or not such a continuous
transformation is possible. That is, does the continuous transformation of the
blot so that it disappears preserve or destroy the kinds of relations that we
were trying to represent in the first place?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy