Jon S, Gary, R, List,

Jon S:  Possibility is not a matter of "seeming," but of speculating (in the
sense of theorizing) on the mode of Being of what it was that seemed or might
have seemed, based on collateral experience rather than only that which is
immediately present to the mind.

Are there other senses of "possibility" in addition to the one you have
articulated?

For aspects of our experience involving vagueness, are there a range of
possibilities lurking in the bushes? How about the experience of what has
potentiality--such as is involved in the experience of the growth of our
understanding? How about the experience of something that is continuous, such
as the experience of things being at a place in space and at a time?

In each of these sorts of cases, I take Peirce to be claiming that our
experience involves a range of possibilities. I would think that each of these
sorts of cases involves an experience of possibilities that is different, in
important respects, from the sense that you've articulated.

Am I missing something about what it is that you are trying to suggest in
making your interpretative claim?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor