Hi Gary, List,

No, I am not trying to stifle debate, just go on the record as to my own position. Gary, you imply it yourself, when you assume I have a tout court disagreement with what Jon has proposed. I never said such a thing.

There are frequently topics that interest me greatly or with which I agree or disagree with someone in part or in whole, but I choose not to comment because I am focused on something else and can not take the time to join in the discussion. And, maybe I also believe it is the rare argument to be "won".

Silence is not consensus or disagreement, nor is not participating in a given discussion any signal of consensus or disagreement.

I went on the record as I did to just make sure, for me, if I don't participate in a given thread that it implies nothing other than I did not participate. I chafe when there are suggestions that some form of consensus emerges from these list discussions, other than between the participants of record. Lists are not decision-making fora nor adjudication bodies.

I encourage participants to agree or disagree as they see fit, come to whatever agreements they may, but that interaction implies nothing else other than what the direct participants state. And, I have just as much right to make these statements as a list moderator.

All of this, of course, should be obvious. But clearly I did feel obligated to state the obvious.

Mike