Gary f., Jon, list,

I am still troubled by a few things in Jon's proposal while still thinking
that it might prove highly useful. I'll employ Gary f's most recent
comments to make a couple of points concerning what yet troubles me.

Gf: I think your proposal looks pretty good, considering that (as you said
in your response to Gary R), there tends to be a lot of overlap between the
language of phenomenology and that of metaphysics — especially when the
metaphysics takes principles from logic and logic takes principles (or
“categories”) from phenomenology, as is the case in Peirce’s classification
of sciences.

In my view, not only does "there tend to be a lot of overlap between the
language of phenomenology and that of metaphysics," but that in the matter
of categorial 'aspects' (I think Gary f's terminology is sound) that they
are all (or almost all) 'given' in phenomenology,

Then, as Gary notes, metaphysics takes categorial principles from logic
which has taken categorial *principles* from phenomenology, and in return
in Peirce's Classification of Sciences, logic and phenomenology may take
*examples* from metaphysics; while phenomenology can also receive examples
---and undoubtedly other help--from logic. But the categorial elements
(including 'possibility---and in the section of Lowell 3 I referred to in
my earlier post, Peirce is discussing not metaphysics, but pointedly,
phenomenology), these categorial aspects *first* appear in some phaneron.
Gf continues:

Gf: However in phaneroscopy, rather than “*divisions* of phenomena,” I
would say *aspects *of phenomena, or even better, *aspects of the phaneron*.
Phaneroscopy does not divide phenomena into Firsts, Seconds and Thirds, but
*abstracts* from them the Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness which is
present in anything “before the mind” in any way.

I agree that at least in phaneroscopy that one might better say 'aspects'
rather than 'divisions' of phenomena. Andre De Tinne, Director and General
Editor of PEP, in a paper, 'Iconoscopy: Between Phaneroscopy and
Semeiotic', has argued that once one has 'experienced' such aspects in the
phaneron that one can then single individual aspects out and give them
names (and, perhaps, do further analysis: e.g. to retrospectively see that
in the simplest theoretical mathematics that they appear as
monod/dyad/triad and, further, that Peirce's *Reduction Thesis* makes this
division necessary and sufficient for further -adities; and, moreover, in
my view it is this retrospective mathematical analysis which gives warrant
to our referring to them as 1ns, 2ns, and 3ns in phenomenology when the
categorial aspects first *appear*).

(Btw, in his paper De Tienne suggests, and I think he's correct, that
'Iconoscopy' is not quite the proper term in this context and suggests that
it ought better be something closer to 'Imagoscopy' which, however, is
probably too weird and ugly a term; still, Iconoscopy, in referencing a
term in semeiotic, is at least misleading).

I have also suggested that there may be a 3rd branch of phenomenology. Joe
Ransdell suggested that i call that branch 'Category Theory' and I
immediately took his advice. In this branch of phenomenology one goes
beyond Iconoscopy/Imagoscopy and arranges trichotomies of aspects
identified in that branch. The paper and ppt presentation I linked to in my
last post from the Arisbe site offers suggestions as to the kinds of
content that this 3rd branch of phenomenology might concern itself with. Gf
concludes:

Gf: In their Firstness, by the way, there is no difference between a
phenomenon and the experience of it, but there is in their Secondness
(which may be more or less degenerate).

I think that Gf is essentially correct in this if one remembers that it is
phaneroscopy proper which treats phenomenon in their 1ns. Further analysis,
especially that using the tools of logic as semeiotic (and even a *logica
utens*), can analyze phenomena in consideration of the other categories as
well allowing for the two other possible branches just mentioned.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*