Gary, list,

I agree with your general remarks on speculative grammar. However I remain
unsure about the coverage you assign to it. So, some words on my view on it. If
you include the wild cultural speculations that passed this list in the
nativity example I disagree. Those belong sooner to the special sciences (the
psychical). Semiotics is more formal, its role is akin to the role of logic.

Lets start with Hegels erroneous (in our present day eyes) definition of logic:
it studies the idea in the formal element of thought. In Peirces work the
formal element is the subject of logic. For the study of the idea (sign would
have been better) in the formal element Peirce coined semiotics. Some
interesting parallels may be drawn between logic and semiotic.

Speculative grammar – propositional logic (sub species eternitate, solipsistic)

Critic -   quantification (and modality?) are added. (the idea of worldly
affairs added)

Speculative Rhetoric – (modality?) approaches like the socratic dialogue,
medieval obligations, Hintikka’s game theoretical semantics, EG (interaction
between graphist and interpreter added)

I am unsure about the place of modality, but maybe it just boils down to a
firstness and secondness view on the issue.

Anyhow, if the above makes any sense, then it would follow that Speculative
Rhetoric would consist in a branch of study that provides a semi-formal study
of the interaction between two man signs, mediated by all kind of signs, (man
regarded as a dynamical argument in which all sign aspects are involved) that
if performed long enough would eventually yield a graphical system akin to EG.

1.      We would have to assume that a man sign (A) being in a state receives
an effect sign x (In a first approximation one of the ten sign types that
follow from the small classification, later to be extended into the 66 possible
signs of the Welby classification).
2.      The processing of x by A must be pictured in steps that follow the
triadic structure and be cast in terms of the sign aspects. This hold for x,
but also for A, but here we might want to take the corresponding interpretant
aspectual names.
3.      Result of the interpretation process is the utterance of a response on
x, x´. This x´effects man sign B that also is in a certain state, processes x´
and responds x” to A. Etc.

Note that the immediate object of A (A being a semiotic sheet comparable to the
EG sheet), will differ from the immediate object of B.

The dynamical object is reality. It is to be looked at as the common sheet of
which the individual sheets are part (truth and falsity being present). One
could look at the individual sheets as being comprised of Sowa’s conceptual
graphs as they are realized in that individual and could be taken as a mapping
of all conceptual content that can be drawn upon by the sheet when entering an
interpretation process. So, that scheme would go into the index position, each
item typified according to its sign aspectual possibilities.

The state being defined by the currently reigning emotional state (a
firstness), the conceptual content (a secondness) and the goal (a thirdness)
that rules sheet A or B at the moment it gets effected.

In the content part of the nativity discussion we have seen this process in
actu, but very unstructured, it is the task of semiotics to provide tools to
structure this kind of conversation and to ensure that progress is made in an
orderly fashion and in such a way that the sheet of A and B, for this issue
merge. That is why semiotics is a normative science.

Best wishes,

Auke van Breemen