Gary F., List:

I have already acknowledged that Peirce was not consistent about using the
term "Sign" only for a Type and not for its Instances.  I concede that this
could be counted as evidence *against *what I am advocating--which is
basically that every Tone is involved in a Token, and that every Token is
involved in a Type.

On the other hand, Peirce evidently abandoned the specific names
Qualisign/Sinsign/Legisign after 1904, which is when he wrote "Sketch of
Dichotomic Mathematics" and "New Elements."  I have also pointed out
previously that by 1908 the corresponding trichotomy was not necessarily a
division according to the (ontological) mode of being of the Sign, but at
least sometimes according to its (phenomenological) "Mode of Apprehension"
or "Mode of Presentation" instead.

In any case, what would be some examples of Signs that are *not *Types?  I
have already addressed "natural Signs" like ripples on a lake or the
orientation of a weathercock.  Their *generality *is reflected by their
suitability for expression as subjunctive conditionals; e.g., if the wind *were
*to blow across a lake (or weathercock), the resulting ripples (or
orientation) *would *indicate its direction.  Peirce even hinted at what I
am suggesting in 1903, using "Representamen" because at that point he still
considered it a generalization of "Sign" by virtue of not necessarily
having a mental Interpretant (CP 2.274, EP 2:273).

CSP:  The mode of being of a representamen is such that it is capable of
repetition. Take, for example, any proverb. "Evil communications corrupt
good manners." Every time this is written or spoken in English, Greek, or
any other language, and every time it is thought of, it is one and the same
representamen. It is the same with a diagram or picture. It is the same
with a physical sign or symptom. If two weathercocks are different signs,
it is only in so far as they refer to different parts of the air. (CP
5.138, EP 2:203)

Likewise, if two sets of ripples are different Signs, it is only in so far
as they refer to different bodies of water, or to the same one at different
times--i.e., they are different Instances of the same Sign.  As Peirce
continued ...

CSP:  A representamen which should have a unique embodiment, incapable of
repetition, would not be a representamen, but a part of the very fact
represented.

In other words, a Sign (Representamen) is not a real Thing (that which has
a unique embodiment, incapable of repetition).

Regards,

Jon S.