Gary F., List:

GF:  I think the more charitable approach is to say that Peirce’s usage of
terms varies with its context--as indeed it must in order to keep the focus
of the argument on the same object (semiosis) while investigating various
aspects of it from various points of view.

I agree, and did not mean to imply otherwise.  I am currently adopting the
specific point of view that all Signs are Types and seeing how far I can
get with that interpretative hypothesis.

GF:  You ask for some examples of Signs that are not Types. Well, this
reply to your post is one example, and the post I am replying to is another.

Which version of your reply is the Sign itself?  The one that you sent?
The one that I received?  The one that someone else on the List received?
The one that is archived?  The answer, of course, is none of these; they
are all Instances of the same Sign, which does not *exist *apart from them,
yet cannot be identified with any *single *one of them.

GF:  An individual weathercock, as seen by an individual observer at a
particular time and place, is another.

I already addressed this example, citing Peirce himself.  That is also an
Instance of a Sign, not a Sign itself.

GF quoting CSP:  A Sign may *itself *have a “possible” Mode of Being; e.g.,
a hexagon inscribed in or circumscribed about a conic. (EP 2:480; 1908)

What Peirce describes here is a *general *Type, and any *actual *diagram of
it is a Token of that Type--i.e., an Instance of the Sign.

GF quoting CSP:  An Actual sign I call a Token; a Necessitant Sign a Type.
(EP 2:480; 1908)

"Actual sign" is self-contradictory unless we understand it as a synonym
for Sign-Replica, since a Sign only exists (i.e., is actual) in its
Replicas (i.e., Instances).

GF quoting CSP:  When the Dynamoid Object is an Occurrence (Existent thing
or Actual fact of past or future), I term the Sign a *Concretive*; any one
barometer is an example, and so is a written narrative of any series of
events. (EP 2:480; 1908)

A barometer (or thermometer) is of the same nature as water ripples and a
weathercock--an Instance of a Sign.  It is an Index of the air pressure (or
temperature) *here and now* only because there is a *general *law of nature
that governs its behavior, which makes it capable of being interpreted as
such *no matter where it is located or when it is observed*.  Any written
narrative is likewise an Instance of a Sign, not a Sign itself; it can be
copied or translated to produce another Instance of the same Sign.

GF quoting CSP:  *Actisigns*, or Objects which are Signs as Experienced *hic
et nunc*; such as any single word in a single place in a single sentence of
a single paragraph of a single page of a single copy of a book. There may
be repetition of the whole paragraph, this word included, in another place.
But that other occurrence is not *this *word. The book may be printed in an
edition of ten thousand; but THIS word is only in my copy. (CP 8.347, EP
2:483; 1908)

Ironically, this corresponds to Peirce's favorite example *supporting *my
contention that all Signs are Types.  Every time "the" (or any other
specific word) appears on a printed page, it is a different Instance of the
same Sign--not a different Sign.  The repetition of a whole paragraph is a
different Instance of the same Sign--not a different Sign.  THIS word in my
copy of a book is a different Instance of the same Sign from the
corresponding word in the other 9,999 printings--not a different Sign.  The
following has become a key passage for my understanding of all this.

CSP:  A common mode of estimating the amount of matter in a MS. or printed
book is to count the number of words. There will ordinarily be about twenty
*the*'s on a page, and of course they count as twenty words. In another
sense of the word "word," however, there is but one word "the" in the
English language; and it is impossible that this word should lie visibly on
a page or be heard in any voice, for the reason that it is not a Single
thing or Single event. It does not exist; it only determines things that do
exist. Such a definitely significant Form, I propose to term a *Type*. A
Single event which happens once and whose identity is limited to that one
happening or a Single object or thing which is in some single place at any
one instant of time, such event or thing being significant only as
occurring just when and where it does, such as this or that word on a
single line of a single page of a single copy of a book, I will venture to
call a *Token*. An indefinite significant character such as a tone of voice
can neither be called a Type nor a Token. I propose to call such a Sign a
*Tone*; In order that a Type may be used, it has to be embodied in a Token
which shall be a sign of the Type, and thereby of the object the Type
signifies. I propose to call such a Token of a Type an *Instance *of the
Type. Thus, there may be twenty Instances of the Type "the" on a page. The
term (Existential) *Graph *will be taken in the sense of a Type; and the
act of embodying it in a *Graph-Instance* will be termed *scribing *the
Graph (not the Instance), whether the Instance be written, drawn, or
incised. (CP 4.537; 1906)

No one ever *actually *speaks, writes, hears, reads, or thinks a word (the
Sign itself); we only *actually *speak, write, hear, read, and think
Instances thereof.  Likewise, no one ever *actually *writes, draws, or
incises an Existential Graph; we only *actually* write, draw, or incise
Graph-Instances.  Nevertheless, when we do the latter, we say that we
scribe the Graph (not the Instance); and when we do the former, we usually
say that we speak, write, hear, read, or think the word/Sign (not the
Instance).  This is the problematic inconsistency, in my view--not so much
a criticism of Peirce as of our everyday colloquial usage of such
terminology.  I am basically advocating greater precision in
logical/semeiotic inquiry by carefully distinguishing (individual)
Instances of Signs from (general) Signs themselves.

GF:  We should also bear in mind that the Type/Token distinction is
*relative* whenever there is a hierarchy of types, so that a token of one
general type may be at the same time a type to which tokens of lower
generality may conform. I gave an example (using quotes from Peirce) in
this blog post: http://gnusystems.ca/wp/2018/08/type-sign-and-word/.

I am afraid that I do not see where that linked blog post says anything
about "a hierarchy of types."  In fact, it quotes the very same passage
from Peirce that I cited last night as strong evidence for my position (EP
2:203).

Thanks,