}Gary R, JAS, list

        1] I question the claim that "The Type is not dependent on its
Tokens--past, present, or future--any more than the hardness of a
diamond is dependent on its ever actually being scratched.  Such is
the nature of a Real "would-be."

        My view is that the Type - which I understand as a general, as laws,
is most certainly dependent on being articulated as a Token, for
generals do not exist except as articulated within/as the particular.
And it is the experiences of the particular instantiation that can
affect the Types and enable adaptation and evolution of the
general/laws.since, as we know, growth and increasing complexity is
'the rule' [can't remember section..]

        "I do not mean any existing individual object, but a type, a
general, which does not exist but governs existents, to which
individuals conform" 8.313.

        That is - I think the relation between the law/general and the
instantiation is intimate and interactive [there's that terrible word
again!].

        2] Symbols grow' - which to me, means that they become more complex
in their laws and their networked connections with other Signs. But I
will also suggest that symbols must have the capacity to implode as
well!

        Edwina
 On Wed 08/08/18  9:08 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Gary R., List:
 GR:   ... imagining that the word 'the' was once  first spoken (or
written, but more likely I think, spoken), what was the type that
that first spoken "the" was token of,  where does one locate its
reality?
 Where does one "locate" the Reality of any  general Type?  Every
Instance of the word "the"--first, last, and each one in between--is
a Replica of the same Sign.  The Type is not dependent on its
Tokens--past, present, or future--any more than the hardness of a
diamond is dependent on its ever actually being scratched.  Such is
the nature of a Real "would-be."
 GR:   Yes, symbols grow, but what is the soil upon which they are
rooted?
 What does it mean in this context to say that "symbols grow"?  In
order for them to get "larger," we must have a way to "measure" their
size.  Conveniently, Peirce provided one with the concept of
Information as "area"--the product of a Sign's Logical Breadth and
Depth.  I am reminded again of Eco's comment that I quoted last
week--" from interpretant to interpretant, the sign is more and more
determined both in its breadth and in its depth."  In other words,
although every Sign (as a general) is indeterminate to some degree,
it can "grow"--i.e., approach (however distantly) the ideal state of
Substantial Information--by becoming more determinate.
  CSP:  If we are to explain the universe, we must assume that there
was in the beginning a state of things in which there was nothing ...
Not determinately nothing ... Utter indetermination. But a symbol
alone is indeterminate. Therefore, Nothing, the indeterminate of the
absolute beginning, is a symbol. That is the way in which the
beginning of things can alone be understood. What logically follows?
... A symbol is essentially a purpose, that is to say, is a
representation that seeks to make itself definite, or seeks to
produce an interpretant more definite than itself ...
 ... the interpretant aims at the object more than at the original
replica and may be truer and fuller than the latter. The very
entelechy of being lies in being representable ... A symbol is an
embryonic reality endowed with power of growth into the very truth,
the very entelechy of reality. (EP 2:322-324; 1904)
 Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAProfessional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]