Jeff, List:

My interpretative hypothesis is not intended to have any effect on Sign
classification, other than a particular understanding of the one trichotomy
that corresponds to the Sign itself.  I am proposing that it is best
conceived as a division according to the (phenomenological) "Mode of
Apprehension" or "Mode of Presentation" of the Sign, as Peirce stated in *some
*of his late 1908 draft letters to Lady Welby--*not *the (ontological)
"Mode of Being" of the the Sign, as Peirce stated in *other* drafts and
most of his previous writings about it, going back to 1903 when he first
introduced it.  The other nine trichotomies, including Icon/Index/Symbol,
remain in place such that there would still potentially be 66 classes of
Signs.

As for your fanciful (but plausible) scenario, I am not sure how to parse
it analytically into various Signs, their Replicas, and their Dynamic
Interpretants.  As I have said before, such an exercise is always somewhat
arbitrary, since Real semiosis is continuous.  Is it the Sign itself that
is "erroneous," or its Replicas, or the man's Habits of
Interpretation--e.g., misidentifying the Dynamic Object because of his
unique Collateral Experience?