Jon, Edwina, List,

Jon wrote:

JAS: Again, besides stating plainly that "the Universe is a vast
representamen" . . . Peirce affirmed that "if any signs are connected, no
matter how, the resulting *system* constitutes one sign" . . . calling this
a *theorem *of the science of semeiotics.  Any Argument is a Sign, and it
is also a continuous *process *of semeiosis; the two labels are not
mutually exclusive.

Let's also recall that Peirce would refer to such things as a complete play
(say, *Hamlet*) or a novel (say, *War and Peace*) as a Symbol. I have
little doubt that he would see even the 11 volumes of Will and Ariel
Durant's *Story of Civilization* *taken together* as a single Symbol and it
many translations into languages other than English as replicas of that
Symbol.

Indeed, Peirce would write that even *an entire language*, including its
modifications and evolution over centuries is a Symbol. The Universe as
Symbol is for Peirce but, shall we say, the ultimate Symbol, *and* the
ultimate "continuous process of semeiosis" (JAS).

Best,

Gary R

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*