Edwina, List:

ET:  Again, I think one can get entrapped in the differentiation between a
Representamen, understood as the mediating node of the triad of O-R-I and
the Sign, understood as the full triad - AND - the use of the term 'sign'
to refer only to the mediating Representamen.

Again, I disagree with this particular use of terminology and the
associated model of semeiosis, but I see no need to revisit that well-worn
path.  In Peirce's usage, either a Sign is a Representamen with a mental
Interpretant (CP 2.274, EP 2:273 and CP 2.242, EP 2:291; both 1903) or the
two terms are synonymous (SS 193; 1905).

ET:  Therefore, the Universe is self-organizing; it has no boundaries or
horizons and there is nothing 'outside of it'.

The word "therefore" implies that this is the conclusion of an
argumentation.  What are the premisses from which it *necessarily follows *that
the Universe is self-organizing, and that there is nothing outside of it?

ET:  Furthermore, I question the idea that, so to speak, 'if there is a
Sign connected to another Sign, then all Signs are 'as one'. [Please
provide a reference].

I must admit some mild frustration at this request, because I have given
the citation many times before, and only omitted it in this case because I
assumed that it was unnecessary by now.  Nevertheless, here is a longer
excerpt to provide both the context and Peirce's own explication of the key
statement.

CSP:  The process [of semeiosis] rather reminds one of the reproduction of
a population,--sufficiently so, indeed, to furnish a convenient store of
metaphors requisite for the expression of its relations.  Naturally, such
metaphors, greatly serviceable though they are, are like edge-tools, not to
be entrusted to babies or to fools or to the immature.  There is a science
of semeiotics whose results no more afford room for differences of opinion
than do those of mathematics, and one of its theorems increases the aptness
of that simile.  It is that *if any signs are connected, no matter how, the
resulting system constitutes one sign*; so that, most connections resulting
from successive pairings, a sign frequently interprets a second in so far
as this is "married" to a third.  Thus, the conclusion of a syllogism is
the interpretation of either premiss as married to the other; and of this
sort are all the principal translation-processes of thought.  In the light
of the above theorem, we see that the entire thought-life of any one person
is a sign; and a considerable part of its interpretation will result from
marriages with the thoughts of other persons.  So the thought-life of a
social group is a sign; and the entire body of all thought is a sign,
supposing all thought to be more or less connected. (R 1476:36[5-1/2]; c.
1904, bold added)

The illustrative example that Peirce provided is an Argument--specifically,
a syllogism--and he went on to state explicitly that "the entire body of
all thought is a sign" (singular).  Since we seem to agree that every Sign
is determined by an Object other than itself, what could be the Object of
"the entire body of all thought"?

ET:  I question the ability of the Universe to actually reduce its
complexity to ONE Sign - given that the Universe operates within not one
categorial mode/universe [ie of Thirdness] but within THREE modes:
Firstness, Secondness AND Thirdness.

Treating the Universe--or for that matter, "the entire body of all
thought"--as *one *Sign does not at all "reduce its complexity."  Consider
what Peirce went on to say about the Universe immediately after calling it
"a vast representamen, a great symbol of God's purpose, working out its
conclusions in living realities."

CSP:  Now every symbol must have, organically attached to it, its Indices
of Reactions and its Icons of Qualities; and such part as these reactions
and these qualities play in an argument, that they of course play in the
Universe, that Universe being precisely an argument. (CP 5.119, EP
2:193-194; 1903)

3ns always *involves *2ns and 1ns.  Every Symbol *involves *Indices and
Icons.  Every Argument *involves *Propositions and Semes.  Calling the
Universe a Symbol and an Argument (both singular) does not in any way *reduce
*its complexity, but rather *recognizes *its complexity--an Argument
is the *most
complex* kind of Sign that there is!  Nevertheless, like any other Sign, it
must be determined by an Object other than itself.