Jon, List,

Consider what Peirce says about his cosmological conception of time in a letter
to Christine Ladd-Franklin. For the sake of clarity, I'll separate and number
the points he makes.

1.   I may mention that my chief avocation in the last ten years has been to
develop my cosmology. This theory is that the evolution of the world is
hyperbolic, that is, proceeds from one state of things in the infinite past, to
a different state of things in the infinite future.

2.   The state of things in the infinite past is chaos, tohu bohu, the
nothingness of which consists in the total absence of regularity. The state of
things in the infinite future is death, the nothingness of which consists in
the complete triumph of law and absence of all spontaneity.

3.   Between these, we have on our side a state of things in which there is
some absolute spontaneity counter to all law, and some degree of conformity to
law, which is constantly on the increase owing to the growth of habit.

4.   As to the part of time on the further side of eternity which leads back
from the infinite future to the infinite past, it evidently proceeds by
contraries.  8.316

Focusing on the points made in 3 and 4, how might we understand the contrast
being made between our side of things, and the part of time that is on the
further side of eternity?

A helpful approach, I think, is to start with a mathematical diagram. What kind
of diagram might we use to clarify the hyperbolic evolution from the infinite
past to the infinite future? Using this diagram, what is the contrast between
our side of things and the further side of eternity?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy