Jeff, List:

JD:  Focusing on the points made in 3 and 4, how might we understand the
contrast being made between *our *side of things, and the part of time that
is on the *further *side of eternity? A helpful approach, I think, is to
start with a mathematical diagram. What kind of diagram might we use to
clarify the hyperbolic evolution from the infinite past to the infinite
future? Using this diagram, what is the contrast between our side of things
and the further side of eternity?

Answering your questions is not an entirely straightforward matter, because
Peirce made some seemingly inconsistent remarks about which *kind *of
mathematical diagram best represents *real *time as a whole.

CSP:  At present, the course of events is approximately determined by law.
In the past that approximation was less perfect; in the future it will be
more perfect. The tendency to obey laws has always been and always will be
growing. We look back toward a point in the infinitely distant past when
there was no law but mere indeterminacy; we look forward to a point in the
infinitely distant future when there will be no indeterminacy or chance but
a complete reign of law. But at any assignable date in the past, however
early, there was already some tendency toward uniformity; and at any
assignable date in the future there will be some slight aberrancy from law.
Moreover, all things have a tendency to take habits. (CP 1.409, EP 1:277;
1887-8)

CSP:  Time as so defined is a "hyperbolic" continuum; that is to say, the
infinitely past and the infinitely future are distinct and do not coincide.
This, I believe, accords with our natural idea of time. (W 8:134; 1892)

CSP:  Observation leads us to suppose that changing things tend toward a
state in the immeasurably distant future different from the state of things
in the immeasurably distant past ... It is an important, though extrinsic,
property of time that no such reckoning brings us round to the same time
again. (NEM 2:249-250; 1895)

These passages are all basically consistent with the *hyperbolic *diagram
that he described in the 1891 letter to Ladd-Franklin that you quoted.

CSP:  The triadic clause is that time has no limit, and every portion of
time is bounded by two instants which are of it, and between any two
instants either way round, instants may be interposed such that taking any
possible multitude of objects there is at least one interposed event for
every unit of that multitude. This statement needs some explanation of its
meaning. First what does it mean to say that time has no limit? This may be
understood in a topical or a metrical sense. In a metrical sense it means
there is no absolutely first and last of time. That is, while we must adopt
a standard of first and last, there is nothing in its own nature the
prototype of first and last. For were there any such prototype, that would
consist of a pair of objects absolutely first and last. This, however, is
more than is intended here. Whether that be true or not is a question
concerning rather the events in time than time itself. What is here meant
is that time has no instant from which there are more or less than two ways
in which time is stretched out, whether they always be in their nature the
foregoing and the coming after, or not. If that be so, since every portion
of time is bounded by two instants, there must be a connection of time
ring-wise. Events may be limited to a portion of this ring; but the time
itself must extend round or else there will be a portion of time, say
future time and also past time, not bounded by two instants. The
justification of this view is that it extends the properties we see belong
to time to the whole of time without arbitrary exceptions not warranted by
experience. (CP 1.498; c. 1896)

CSP:  But now, a continuum which is without singularities must, in the
first place, return into itself. Here is a remarkable consequence.
Take, for example, Time. It makes no difference what singularities you may
see reason to impose upon this continuum. You may, for example, say that
all evolution began at this instant, which you may call the infinite past,
and comes to a close at that other instant, which you may call the infinite
future. But all this is quite extrinsic to time itself. Let it be, if you
please, that evolutionary time, our section of time, is contained between
those limits. Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that time itself, unless it
be discontinuous, as we have every reason to suppose it is not, stretches
on beyond those limits, infinite though they be, returns into itself, and
begins again. Your metaphysics must be shaped to accord with that. (CP
6.210; 1898)

By contrast, these longer passages both appear to be saying that time is
*elliptical*--in order to be truly continuous, it cannot have any limits
and must instead be connected "ring-wise," such that it "returns into
itself."  Nevertheless, it might be the case that *events *are "limited to
a portion of this ring," which is "evolutionary time, our section of time";
and if so, then the limits of that portion are still somehow in the *infinite
*past and future.

CSP:  It may be assumed that there are two instants called the *limits of
all time*, the one being Α, the *commencement *of all time and the other
being Ω, the *completion *of all time. Whether there really are such
instants or not we have no obvious means of knowing; nor is it easy to see
what "really" in that question means. But it seems to me that if time is to
be conceived as forming a collective whole, there either must be such
limits or it must return into itself. This is an interesting question. At
any rate, it is a help and no inconvenience for the present purpose to
assume such limits. (NEM 3:1075; c. 1905)

Here Peirce simply acknowledges that time as "a collective whole" either
has two limits or "must return into itself," calling this "an interesting
question" and choosing to assume that it *does *have initial and final
instants for the sake of what follows.  That subsequent exposition is where
he identifies four different classes of states of things--momentary,
prolonged, gradual, and relational--and describes diagrams for the first
three, although he does not draw them.  I have taken a stab at it myself
and anticipate sharing the results in a future post.

For now, though, the question is whether and how we can reconcile these
seemingly incompatible descriptions.  In *ordinary* geometry, an ellipse
and a hyperbola are two *different *conic sections.  An ellipse is a *single
*closed curve, and the simplest equation for one is x2 + y2 = 1, producing
a circle.  A hyperbola consists of two *separate *curves that approach
certain lines called *asymptotes* without ever actually reaching them; the
simplest equations are xy = 1, whose asymptotes are the x-axis and y-axis,
and x2 - y2 = 1, whose asymptotes are the lines defined by x + y = 0 and x
- y = 0.  Peirce characterizes his cosmology as "hyperbolic" because it
likewise posits *ideal *limits that the universe never *actually *reaches--an
absolutely indeterminate state of things in the infinite past, and an
absolutely determinate state of things in the infinite future.  What are we
then to make of his statements about time "returning into itself," which
suggest instead an *elliptical* cosmology?

I will address that in another post, rather than making this one any longer
than it already is.  From previous exchanges, I suspect that you (Jeff)
already know where this is headed; but for me and others who are not very
familiar with *projective *geometry, it comes across as counterintuitive
and even paradoxical, at least initially.

Regards,

Jon S.