Hi Jon S, List

It looks like we are barking up the same trees.

As Peirce points out in the 8th Cambridge Conferences Lecture in RLT, the
self-returning character of a space or time manifold is a topological character
of unbounded manifolds generally. We don't need to add in postulates concerning
straightness and a line called the absolute needed for a projective geometry
for the point about the self-returning character of hyperbolic manifolds to
hold.

Hyperbolic manifolds come in different shapes. Some have an odd number of
twists (i.e., cross-caps) in them. Others have an even number or no twists at
all. Some manifolds, for instance, have the intrinsic character of a torus with
no twists. If a torus has two or more holes, then it is hyperbolic in
character. If it has one hole it is parabolic. If it has no holes, then it is
elliptical. Roughly, a similar point holds for the number of cross caps found
in a manifold.

Peirce makes this point when he suggests that the first question we should ask
about our experience of time is its Euler characteristic or Listing number. On
my reading of Peirce, it is important that we start by asking these kinds of
questions about the topological character of our experience of time before
turning to questions of how time is ordered--projectively or metrically.

That is, we need to ask these phenomenological questions about our experience
of time before turning to metaphysical questions about its real nature. By
asking these phenomenological questions about the character of our experience,
we put ourselves in a better position to analyze the surprising observations
that are calling out for metaphysical hypotheses. For example, we ask:  why
does our experience of space seem have three dimension while time has only one,
and why is time ordered in a manner that space is not? In turn, we hope to put
ourselves in a better position to measure the data that are being used to test
those explanations.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor