Jeff, List:

JD:  As Peirce points out in the 8th Cambridge Conferences Lecture in
RLT, the self-returning character of a space or time manifold is a
topological character of unbounded manifolds generally. We don't need to
add in postulates concerning straightness and a line called the absolute
needed for a projective geometry for the point about the self-returning
character of hyperbolic manifolds to hold.

I have not dug into RLT on this topic yet, since I only have a hard copy
rather than a searchable PDF.  Which specific pages do you have in mind?

JD:  Hyperbolic manifolds come in different shapes. Some have an odd number
of twists (i.e., cross-caps) in them. Others have an even number or no
twists at all. Some manifolds, for instance, have the intrinsic character
of a torus with no twists. If a torus has two or more holes, then it is
hyperbolic in character. If it has one hole it is parabolic. If it has no
holes, then it is elliptical. Roughly, a similar point holds for the number
of cross caps found in a manifold.

I have already admitted that projective geometry is a conceptual stretch
for me, and topology is even more so.  Is there a relatively simple primer
anywhere online for hyperbolic/parabolic/elliptical toruses in topology,
like the one that I found and linked for hyperbolic/parabolic/elliptical
circles in projective geometry?

JD:  Peirce makes this point when he suggests that the first question we
should ask about our experience of time is its Euler characteristic or
Listing number. On my reading of Peirce, it is important that we start by
asking these kinds of questions about the topological character of our
experience of time before turning to questions of how time is
ordered--projectively or metrically.

"Topological character" is mathematical, while "our experience of time" is
phenomenological.  How would you suggest that we translate back and forth
between the two sciences?

JD:  That is, we need to ask these phenomenological questions about our
experience of time before turning to metaphysical questions about its real
nature. By asking these phenomenological questions about the character of
our experience, we put ourselves in a better position to analyze the
surprising observations that are calling out for metaphysical hypotheses.

I agree, and so does Peirce.

CSP:  The only important thing here is our metaphysical phenomenon, or
familiar notion, that the past is a matter for knowledge but not for
endeavor, that the future is an object that we may hope to influence, but
which cannot affect us except through our anticipations, and that the
present is a moment immeasurably small through which, as their limit, past
and future can alone act upon one another. Whether this be an illusion or
not, it is the phenomenon of which the metaphysician has to give an
account. (CP 8.113; c. 1900)

Our *phenomenological *experience of time prompts our *mathematical *hypotheses
about time.  We then employ *logical/semeiotic* principles in order to
ascertain the *metaphysical *reality of time.

JD:  For example, we ask: why does our experience of space seem have three
dimension while time has only one, and why is time ordered in a manner that
space is not? In turn, we hope to put ourselves in a better position to
measure the data that are being used to test those explanations.

The Peirce quote above explains how our phenomenological experience
requires something like the "arrow of time" to account for the undeniable
difference between our memory of the past and our anticipation of the
future.  Elsewhere he suggests that this is precisely what *requires *time
to be one-dimensional, which is obviously not the case with space.

CSP:  For example, every-day experience is that events occur in time, and
that time has but one dimension. So much appears necessary. For we should
be utterly bewildered by the suggestion that two events were each anterior
to the other or that, happening at different times, one was not anterior to
the other. But a two-dimensional anteriority is easily shown to involve a
self-contradiction. So, then, that time is one-dimensional is, for the
present, necessary; and we know not how to appeal to special experience to
disprove it. But that space is three dimensional involves no such
necessity. We can perfectly well suppose that atoms or their corpuscles
move freely in four or more dimensions. (CP 1.273; 1902)

Along similar lines, a manuscript that was presumably an early draft of
some ideas for RLT, "Abstracts of 8 Lectures" (R 942), begins with this
interesting passage.

CSP:  We thus see that the bare Nothing of Possibility logically leads to
continuity.
For the first step a unidimensional continuum is formed.
Logically, this step is of the nature of induction. Now induction arranges
possible experience after the type of logical law. But the logical law *par
excellence* is that of logical sequence. Hence, the first dimension of the
continuum of quality is a sequence. A sequence is a unidimensional form in
which there is a difference between the relation of A to B and of B to A.
Mathematically considered, in one dimension it is a progress from a point A
to a point B, where A and B are different or A and B may coincide, or they
may both vanish [see attached "Sequences.jpg"]. Of these three forms of
sequence, the first is distinctly that of logic since the ultimate
antecedent and the ultimate consequent are different in logic. You cannot
proceed from antecedent to consequent till you reach again your original
antecedent (as in the 3rd kind of sequence, the elliptical), nor do you *tend
*to such a return (as in the second, or parabolic sequence), but the two
are distinct.
It follows that the first dimension of the continuum of possible quality*
had to be of the nature of a hyperbolic sequence. That is to say, there is
one general mode of relation, which we may name *coming after*, defined by
these conditions:
1st, of any two qualities which are not entirely alike in their
relations of *coming after*, one *comes after* the other;
2nd, whatever *comes after* another comes after whatever that other comes
after; or otherwise stated if N comes after M then whatever, say P, comes
after N also comes after M;
3rd, nothing comes after itself ...
Now the logical sequence itself is essentially unidimensional, because it
is a purely internal law, and unity and interiority are inseparable. (NEM
4:127-128; 1898)
*Peirce mistakenly wrote "quantity" in the manuscript

Peirce is discussing the continuum of possible quality here, rather than
time, but it is not much of a stretch to recognize the parallel
between *logical
*sequence--which he confirms to be a *hyperbolic *sequence, rather than an
elliptical or parabolic sequence--and *temporal *sequence.  Both involve
"one general mode of relation, which we may name *coming after*"; and as he
elaborates in a subsequent paragraph, both proceed from an ideal beginning
toward a *different *ideal end.

CSP:  Let me say, by the way, that there is in the logical law this
difference between the absolutely first antecedent and the absolutely last
consequent, both of which are unattainable limits. The last consequent is
the very reality itself. That is our very conception of reality, the
essence of the word, namely, what we should believe if investigation was
carried to its furthest limit where no change of belief further was
possible. That is of the nature of an infinite, a true singularity of the
logical continuum differing *toto caelo* [by the entire extent of the
heavens] from every intermediate step however near to it. I mean that it
thus differs, not merely in its logical relations as leading to no
consequent other than itself, but also and more particularly, as being a
radically different kind of consciousness, a consciousness which is the
very reality itself and no mere image seen *per speculum in aenigmate*
[through a glass darkly]. But the absolutely first antecedent is simply the
blank ignorance, the *zero *of knowledge, although in its logical relations
it is singular in leading to nothing, as a needle precisely balanced on its
point will never fall, yet as a state of mind it differs indefinitely
little from other states near it. Hence, though a limit as to the advance
of logical development, it is not so as a mode of consciousness. (NEM 4:134)

Just as temporal sequence has an initial state that is absolutely
indeterminate and a final state that is absolutely determinate, logical
sequence starts with "blank ignorance" and ends with "the very reality
itself," what Peirce sometimes called the ultimate opinion.  A decade
later, he further connected both kinds of sequence to the concept of
*negation*.

CSP:  Indeed, so far is the concept of *Sequence *from being a composite of
two Negations, that, on the contrary, the concept of the *Negation *of any
state of things, X, is, precisely, a composite of which one element is the
concept of Sequence. Namely, it is the concept of a sequence from X of the
essence of falsity ... The question will here pop up, Why does not this
show that the concept of Sequence is a composite of three concepts; that of
some antecedent state, that of some consequent state, and between them,
that of a state of Heraclitan Flux? ...
Your question answers itself ... your supposition assumes that there is
what we conceive of as Time ... For we never think at all without
reasoning; and if we try to do so, the attempt merely results in our
reasoning about reasoning. Now reasoning takes place in Time; and so far as
we can understand it, in a Time that embodies our common-sense notion of
Time. But this common-sense notion of time implies that every state of
things that does not endure through a lapse of time is absolutely definite,
that is, that two states, one the negation of the other, cannot exist at
the same instant; which, by the way, necessarily follows, if negation be
but a particular sort of sequence; though it would be to no purpose to stop
to prove this here.
Accepting the common-sense notion, then, I say that it conflicts with that
to suppose that there is ever any discontinuity in change. That is to say,
between any two instantaneous states there must be a lapse of time during
which the change is continuous, not merely in that false continuity which
the calculus recognizes but in a much stricter sense. (R 300:52-55[51-54];
1908)

Sequence is a *simpler *concept than negation, which is why Peirce defined
a *cut *in existential graphs as a *scroll *with its inner close containing
the *pseudograph *and reduced to infinitesimal size (cf. CP 4.454-456; 1903
and CP 4.454n; c. 1906).  Moreover, logical sequence is a *simpler
*concept than
temporal sequence, such that we can prescind the former from the latter,
but not the latter from the former.  The upshot is that the negation of a
prolonged state of things requires "a lapse of time during which the change
is [strictly] continuous"; i.e., a general determination of time at which
an indefinitely gradual state of change is realized.