Auke, List:

I have been specifically addressing sign classification using a linear
order of trichotomies, which (again) I personally no longer believe is the
most fruitful approach for speculative grammar.  Nevertheless, here are
some examples of a necessitant determining a possible.

   - 1903 taxonomy - any ordinary term as a rhematic symbol.
   - Hexadic taxonomy per my ordering - a sign that ideally would produce a
   further sign (temperative), but whose actual effect is merely a feeling
   (sympathetic).
   - Hexadic taxonomy per Robert's ordering - a sign that ideally would
   produce only a feeling (gratific), but whose actual effect is a further
   sign (usual), which I find implausible.

As for the application to art, I am inclined to agree with T. L. Short's
assessment that "pure" art is properly classified as a possible according
to all the interpretants; i.e., it is intended only to evoke a feeling, and
it never does anything more than evoke a feeling.  Of course, there are
other kinds of art that are intended to provoke thought and/or action, and
my ordering (unlike Robert's) recognizes that they may nevertheless only
evoke a feeling in some interpreters.

Regards,

Jon S.