John, Edwina, Daniel, List:

Indeed, and I have never suggested any such thing, either; after all, it
would wrongly imply that metaphysics comes *before *semeiotic in a proper
classification of the sciences.  Peirce unambiguously has it the other way
around--"Metaphysics consists in the results of the absolute acceptance of
logical principles not merely as regulatively valid, but as truths of
being" (CP 1.487, c. 1896).  Accordingly, what I *have *suggested
previously is that semeiotic is sufficiently robust to prompt the plausible
hypothesis of God as the real and independent object that determines the
entire universe as a sign.  I know that you disagree with this, but we have
debated it sufficiently in the past and need not rehash those arguments.