Auke and Jon AS,
I strongly agree with Auke's analysis.  I would
also like to comment on the following point:
AvB> God or the
conception of god do not deliver valid arguments in semiotics. My interest
is systematical not biographical.
A biographical analysis can be
useful for clarifying what Peirce meant in his voluminous writings.  That
is an important task for Peirce scholars.   Many theologians have
considered Peirce's semeiotic useful for analyzing theological arguments.
But nobody, not even Peirce, has suggested that theology or any
theological hypothesis is sufficiently robust to be used as a foundation
for developing semeiotic.