Jon Alan,

I am a structural engineer, not an architect, so I specialize in bones rather
than meat. :-)

I noticed that and I, having studied the logical notebook and the Welby
letters, are of the opinion that with the bones, i.e. the technical terms and
their arrangement did a good job in sorting things out. But, without meat it
will be hard to avoid making your own private reality out of the bones.

I do not know whether you recognized that as we have an alpha, beta and gamma
part of EG, we also have an alpha, beta and gamma part of semiotics, i.e. the
calssifications that yield 10/propositional, 28/quantification and 66/modality.
But, that only with the small classification it is possible to correlate the
sign aspects with the interpretant aspects (emotional interpretant - qualisign,
etc) and that this correlation is needed to come to terms with interpretaional
processes: it makes no sence to make distinctions with regard to the sign if
those distinctions do not play a role in the proces of interpretation.

However for me you conflate different perspectives. I tried to get a hold on
this by invoking art where we can look at 1. individual pieces/signs or 2. the
development of an artist in a series from the habit of figurative imaging to
abstract imaging.

ad 1. if we look at an individual piece/sign and its interpretation, after
sufficient, etc.. and in an ideal situation we will arive at the normal
interpretant. For this situation in my estimate your remarks are fair and
logical order holds.

ad 2. But, since you take normal and final interpretant as the very same, you
generalize over grand scale sequences and there our ways depart. On this matter
I came to similar conclusions as Edwina.

Did you read Hulswit's "A semiotic account of causation"? if you don't feel at
home with the meat, this is second best.

Regards,

Auke

> [...]
> intermediate products.  This is final causation, the sense in which the
> perfect embodiment of the principles--which is never actually
> achieved--determines all the products, even the earliest attempts that fall
> well short.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Jon S.
>
>     On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 3:03 AM < a.bree...@chello.nl
> mailto:a.bree...@chello.nl > wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         Jan Alan,
> >
> >         It seems that we differ in opinion about meat and bones. I just see
> > more bones, no meat. Not very informative.
> >
> >         A side issue:
> >
> >         You wrote:
> >
> >         Of course, there are other kinds of art that are intended to
> > provoke thought and/or action, and my ordering (unlike Robert's) recognizes
> > that they may nevertheless only evoke a feeling in some interpreters.
> >
> >         --
> >
> >         In that, i.e. 'they may nevertheless only invoke a feeling in some
> > interpreters', art does not differ from science. Trump is living proof.
> >
> >         By art I was not thinking about individual pieces of artwork, but
> > about the development in the work of an individual artist, like Mondriaan
> > and his development from figurism towards abstraction, or a group of like
> > minded artists with a program, like Bauhaus. Does the later work determine
> > the earlier or is it a development from principles laid down in combination
> > with reflection on the intermediate products?
> >
> >         Best,
> >
> >         Auke
> >
> >             > > > Op 15 april 2020 om 3:14 schreef Jon Alan Schmidt <
> > jonalanschm...@gmail.com mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com >:
> > >
> > >             Auke, List:
> > >
> > >             I have been specifically addressing sign classification using
> > > a linear order of trichotomies, which (again) I personally no longer
> > > believe is the most fruitful approach for speculative grammar.
> > > Nevertheless, here are some examples of a necessitant determining a
> > > possible.
> > >                 * 1903 taxonomy - any ordinary term as a rhematic symbol.
> > >                 * Hexadic taxonomy per my ordering - a sign that ideally
> > > would produce a further sign (temperative), but whose actual effect is
> > > merely a feeling (sympathetic).
> > >                 * Hexadic taxonomy per Robert's ordering - a sign that
> > > ideally would produce only a feeling (gratific), but whose actual effect
> > > is a further sign (usual), which I find implausible.
> > >             As for the application to art, I am inclined to agree with T.
> > > L. Short's assessment that "pure" art is properly classified as a
> > > possible according to all the interpretants; i.e., it is intended only to
> > > evoke a feeling, and it never does anything more than evoke a feeling.
> > > Of course, there are other kinds of art that are intended to provoke
> > > thought and/or action, and my ordering (unlike Robert's) recognizes that
> > > they may nevertheless only evoke a feeling in some interpreters.

 g but a Necessitant" (EP 2:481).