John, List:

As usual, the oblique criticisms expressed below are methodological rather
than substantive, and ultimately seem to reflect a desire to have it both
ways.

JFS:  Unless Peirce explicitly stated that some earlier remark was wrong,
we must consider it to be compatible with his later developments.

I agree, but would add the qualification, "unless it clearly *cannot *be
reconciled with them."  It also works the other way around--we must
consider Peirce's later writings to be compatible with his earlier
writings, unless they clearly cannot be reconciled.  This is simply a form
of the hermeneutical principle of charity
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity>.  Again, my approach
is to give *more weight* to his later writings as presumably
reflecting his *more
considered* views, not to ignore his earlier writings altogether.  The
latter would be just as illegitimate as relying entirely on earlier
passages and ignoring the later ones--right?

JFS:  Similarly, we must also consider the possibility that some of his
later ideas might have been revised if he had lived longer.

I agree, and this entails that we must also consider the possibility that
he would have embraced some of the modifications to his ideas that others
have proposed over the intervening century.  We cannot reject those
adjustments out of hand for the sole reason that Peirce himself did not
formulate them exactly that way.  Instead, each must be evaluated on its
own merits as a *purported* further development of his thought.  That
process requires paying careful attention to what he *did *write in order
to understand and apply his insights accurately.

JFS:  I'm sure that Peirce would cringe at most, if not all attempts to
paraphrase his thoughts.

How could anyone today be *sure *of that?  Does Peirce explicitly state it
somewhere in his writings?  If not, then this assertion is inconsistent
with itself--it amounts to an attempt to paraphrase his *supposed *thoughts,
which is a lot less justifiable than attempting to paraphrase his *recorded
*thoughts.  Here is another example from the same post.

JFS:   He would be horrified at the thought that anybody would attempt to
pick and choose some rigid set of quotations as a definitive formulation of
his thought.

Where does Peirce express such horror?  This is pure conjecture, once more
putting words in his mouth.  Regardless, I have never claimed to be
attempting "a definitive formulation of his thought"; on the contrary, I
have explicitly *denied *having any such objective.  Again, it should go
without saying for all my posts (including this one) that they
are expressions of my personal opinions based on my interpretations of his
writings.

JFS:  I believe that your six principles (copied below) are in the spirit
of Peirce's way of thinking.

Edwina's six principles are neither presented as nor supported by direct
quotations from Peirce, so they likewise constitute attempts to paraphrase
his thoughts.  Are they somehow among the few, if any, at which Peirce
would *not* cringe?  If so, again, how could anyone know this?  Why the
double standard?