Gary,
That sentence up to the comma is my primary objection to
Jon's writings.  As for the substance, my second objection is Jon's claim
that his conclusion is what Peirce intended:
GR> Your arguments
*contra* Jon Alan Schmidt have been consistently methodological, not at
all substantive.
Jon has done useful work in highlighting some
important quotations in Peirce's writings and stating his own opinions
about how they are related.  That's OK.  But I object to his claim of
developing a definitive reconstruction of Peirce's semeiotic.  That is a
task that Peirce attempted to do on several occasions.  But his ideas were
constantly growing as he was writing.  He could never produce a single
coherent version.  If Peirce himself could not produce a definitive
version, nobody can claim that their version is what Peirce
intended.
GR> More to the point, there are those scholars who
rather completely disagree with your and Edwina's (mis)characterization of
Jon's work.
Please quote anybody who objected to what I said about
Jon's work.  If you can't dig up some ancient quotations, please ask them
to restate their objections.
GR> Jon's work falls into a category
of Peirce scholarship, *semeiotic grammar*, which you and Edwina seem to
oppose almost in principle, but which is seen by many Peirce scholars --
and to this day -- as essential, even quintessential, in the understanding
of what Peirce's philosophy involves, the changes in his  terminology
often being expressions of the conceptual growth -- or fine turning -- of
important, even crucial philosophical concepts; and not only in his logic
as semeiotic, but also in his phenomenology and metaphysics.
believe that work is very important.  I have learned a lot from reading
much of it -- certainly not all of it.  But the most reliable authors
clearly state or imply that their conclusions are their own, not
Peirce's.  When they do make some claims about what Peirce meant, they add
some hedge, such as "Peirce seems to say..." or "If I am
right..."
What I find most objectionable about Jon's method is
the way he constructs a long thread of quotations, each taken out of
context, and derives some rigid conclusion that he claims is what Peirce
intended.  If anybody objects to that conclusion by citing other
quotations, Jon find some excuse for rejecting them.
GR> Your
seeming rush to 'application' is, as I now see it,  based on your
hubristic (there's no more accurate term for it) estimation that you
*already* grasp what's important in Peirce's philosophy...
I am
writing for  21st c audience.  I often quote Peirce's writings as a
motivation for the work I'm doing, but I don't claim that my work is what
he meant or intended.  Following is a revised version of the slides I
presented at a Peirce session of an APA meeting in 2015:
http://jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf .
As a result of that work, Fernando
Zalamea invited me to participate in a workshop in Columbia on existential
graphs.  At that workshop, I presented another version of the ppe.pdf
slides.  As a result, I was invited to convert those slides to an article
for a special issue of the Journal of Applied Logics.   Slide 2 of ppe.pdf
has the URL of that article, which takes 72 printed pages.
Please
let me know what you find "rushed" or "hubristic".  I
have posted many other articles and slides on my web site.  If you like, I
can send you the URLs of others that rush to apply Peirce's writings to
what I'm working on.