Edwina, List:

It should go without saying for all my posts, but the following is an
expression of my personal opinions based on my interpretations of Peirce's
writings.

Speculative grammar is the first branch of semeiotic, and I see one of its
primary tasks as *conceptual *analysis.  It might look like terminological
analysis in some cases, but it is mainly concerned with the concepts
themselves and their relations with each other, rather than narrowly
focused on their names.  That is precisely why I believe that there
are *exactly
three* interpretants, no matter how many different terminological
schemes Peirce tried out for them.  Positing more than three interpretants
is just as untenable as positing more than two objects, since these
structural features are both grounded in the relation of
involution/presupposition among the categories, as Robert Marty's podium
diagram very helpfully illustrates.

Here is another example of the relevance of terminology for getting the
concepts right (or wrong)--Peirce explicitly denies that semeiosis is
a *dynamic
*process, because this would incorrectly imply that it is a matter of
strictly *dyadic *interactions.

CSP:  It is important to understand what I mean by *semiosis*. All
dynamical action, or action of brute force, physical or psychical, either
takes place between two subjects,--whether they react equally upon each
other, or one is agent and the other patient, entirely or partially,--or at
any rate is a resultant of such actions between pairs. But by "semiosis" I
mean, on the contrary, an action, or influence, which is, or involves, a
cooperation of *three* subjects, such as a sign, its object, and its
interpretant, this tri-relative influence not being in any way resolvable
into actions between pairs. (EP 2:411, 1907)

Notice that it is essential to Peirce's *concept *of semeiosis that the
sign, its object, and its interpretant are three different *subjects*.  In
particular, the sign itself is not a *relation*, it is a subject that is *in
*a genuine triadic relation with two other subjects--its object and its
interpretant.  Of course, using an earlier terminology he called them the
three *correlates *of a genuine triadic relation (CP 2.242, EP 2:290, 1903)
and substituted "representamen" for "sign" because he had not yet decided
that "there was no need of this horrid long word" (SS 193, 1905).

Finally, let me repeat once more that when we are talking about the order
of the trichotomies, it is a *logical *rather than *temporal* sequence; and
let me now add that determination in this context is also *logical*, not
*causal*.  To say that the final interpretant determines the dynamical
interpretant is merely to affirm that if the final interpretant is a
possible, such that the sign is a gratific, then the dynamical interpretant
can only be a possible, such that the sign is also a sympathetic; and if
the dynamical interpretant is a necessitant, such that the sign is a usual,
then the final interpretant can only be a necessitant, such that the sign
is also a temperative (cf. EP 2:481, 1908).