Dear colleagues,
I have had hundreds of discussions with my students and colleagues, I have
conducted master's thesis in several fields and Phd like any academic.
Obviously most of them have exploited in their classifications the texts CP
2.254 to 2,265 formalized by me in the lattice of the classes of signs (see
https://www.academia.edu/40493861/The_trichotomic_machine_brings_order_among_the_interpretants
proposed for discussion in this list and immediately drowned in subjects
not always adjacent).   These analytical practices have shown that the main
or even unique cause of the observed discrepancies is due to the fact that
when each classifies a sign it places it somewhere in the lattice but at
the same time its class of signs presupposes structurally (or implies if
you prefer) all classes of signs that are "below". It often happens that we
see a denial of an analysis by other analyses that classify the sign
precisely in a class below. This is evident in debates about the
relationship to the object with photographs: icons, indexes or symbols is
the question. My German colleague Max Bense had created the "top icon" that
captured the formation of icons in the sense that it is heard in the media
today (the current best example is Greta Thunberg).   One can even observe
the three classifications in a debate and a fine analysis with the
categories is necessary to obtain -not always - a consensus, which can only
be obtained with a rigorous examination of the "ground" of the sign, that
is to say on the characters of the signs that are really active in the
communication, that is to say selected by a perceptual judgment shared by
the community to which it is addressed. The signs of advertising allow a
large amount of endless analysis and debate