Auke and Jon,
Peirce developed his semeiotic as a tool for
analyzing the many kinds of signs and their use in science and everyday
life. Unfortunately, Peirce did not provide enough examples to clarify
exactly how his terminology could be applied in all the many
variations.
The following excerpt shows why we need some examples to
provide a basis for comparing and evaluating different
interpretations:
> JAS: I remain reluctant to classify any real
signs as pure icons, indices,
or symbols.  Consider these comments by
Peirce...

AvB> You sneek in a restrictive clause: 'real'
signs, see for comparison the sentence to which I responded.

JAS> while I indeed consider signs to be iconic/indexical/symbolic
rather than pure icons/indices/symbols...
First example:  An
archaeologist sees something (a mark) and interprets it as a token of type
bone.  After further examination, it turns out to be a bone from a deer.
Scratches on the bone could mean that some animal was eating the meat, or
it could mean that some human was using the bone for some purpose.  What
purpose?
Question:  How could Peirce's terminology be applied to
this example?
A more complex example:  The work by archaeologists in
analyzing and interpreting the carvings on  the Mayan ruins.  For a brief
summary of the 21st c. interpretation, see
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Mayan-hieroglyphic-writing .  A bit of
Googling will dig out many more examples.  Adding the words 'semiotic' and
'Peirce' will retrieve thousands of hits.
When archaeologists first
discovered the Mayan ruins, they had no evidence for interpreting the
carvings.   To use Peirce's basic trichotomy, mark/token/type, the
archaeologists saw marks.  They interpreted the marks as tokens of type
human-artifact.  By analyzing the stones, they could determine that the
artifacts were a subtype called carvings.  But  are those carvings tokens
of mere decorations?   How could anyone determine the types that the
ancient Mayans had intended?
Some carvings were recognizable as
icons of humans and animals or parts thereof.  They might assume some
symbolic purpose, perhaps religious or historical.
After some
abduction, they assumed that some of the carvings were symbols of sounds,
and they used the modern Mayan language as a guide to interpreting the
sounds.  Finally, they were able to read the glyphs as words and sentences
in the old Mayan language.
Questions:  How could Peirce's
terminology clarify these issues?  Could these or other examples resolve
the debates on Peirce-L?