Jon Alen,

>     while I indeed consider signs to be iconic/indexical/symbolic rather than
> pure icons/indices/symbols,

re: I think we need to consider them from both angles. If we deal with
interpretation processes we need the pure ones. The are needed to cover the
apprehension of the sign as an object, the sign copy stage that we have
virtually to go through before the meaning and effect of the sign develop
themselves in a given interpreter.

>     by contrast I view terms/propositions/arguments as sharply distinguished.
> In other words, every sign is either a term, a proposition, or an argument.
> As I recently summarized, every argument involves multiple propositions, and
> every proposition involves multiple terms.

re: Peirce does emphasize the mode of adress in the sign - interpretant
relation, not the compositionality. suggestive only/term, statement of
fact/prop. yes no, and providing a reason/argument.

cf: [. . . ] the diference between the Term, the Proposition, and the
Argument, is by no means a difference of complexity, and does not
so much consist in structure as in the services they are severally
intended to perform. (CP 4.572)

The intensional interpretant may be an argument, but the effectual interpretant
may take this argument as a term that enters another process. A friend gets a
stroke, after weeks you visit him. He starts talking and gives an argument in
favor of the lock down (which he knows you opposed). Since you are curious
about the damage done by the stroke, you do not take the argument as it is
intended to be, instead you take the whole argument as a term, that, as
indexically connected with the utterer, proves to be a proposition, that enters
an argument with the conclusion: At first sight the damage at the least is
limited.

>           * A term can be a hypothetic (monadic), a categorical (dyadic), or
> a relative (triadic or higher).
>           * A proposition can be either a categorical (involving two monadic
> terms) or a relative (involving at least one dyadic or higher term).
>           * An argument is always a relative (involving two or more
> propositions)

JAS: In other words, we do not construct arguments from propositions, we
prescind propositions from arguments.

I like this one very much! Much more powerful then my mumbling about input -
output relations that are habitual, about which I talk in analysis mode.

Auke

CSP:  I have maintained since 1867 that there is but one primary and
fundamental logical relation, that of illation, expressed by ergo. A
proposition, for me, is but an argumentation divested of the assertoriness of
its premiss and conclusion. This makes every proposition a conditional
proposition at bottom. In like manner a "term," or class-name, is for me
nothing but a proposition with its indices or subjects left blank, or
indefinite. ... This doctrine, which is in harmony with the above theory of
signs, gives a great unity to logic ... (CP 3.440, 1896)

In existential graphs, the scroll corresponds to the "one primary and
fundamental logical relation, that of illation," which is why the cut (or
shading) for negation is derived from it rather than the other way around (CP
4.454-456, 1903; CP 4.564n, c. 1906).  It is evident that "every proposition
[is] a conditional proposition at bottom" from the fact that any EG is
equivalent to the same EG in the inner close of a scroll with an empty outer
close.

I look forward to receiving your feedback on this, as well as on my other
recent posts.

Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran
Laymanhttp://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
-http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 5:33 PM Gary Richmond < gary.richm...@gmail.com