Gary F,

        I'll disagree with you. I think that debates about method are
important. The only 'method' I've seen that JAS outlines, is to
provide quotations from Peirce texts. But does interpretation of
these texts consist only of repeating them and declaring that 'it
means this'? Rather Saussurian. Is such a method enough to validate
that particular interpretation? As some of us have been saying, as a
method - it is weak, and requires real life pragmatics [Secondness]
examples. Therefore - methodology is important.

        So- one can have one's own ideology about semiosis - and, quite
frankly, one can support this personal ideology with many quotations
from Peirce. BUT, these quotations can be a complete
misinterpretation of what Peirce was really saying, because the
quotations, lifted from the page, can take on a new meaning in this
'new page'. That is - a lot of what we see here is all about 'special
interests' .. Now - who can evaluate whether these 'interpretations'
are valid to Peirce, or  valid for the personal 'special interest'
ideology? That's not a simple task.

        When some of us, for example, ask repeatedly for real world examples
of the interpretations offered - and don't get them, are we supposed
to accept that the conclusions of this rather authoritarian method [I
say this, and so, it is so] - must be accepted as valid? Jon Awbrey's
recent outline of methods was, I felt, rather important and relevant
to this situation.

        With regard to the debate between Robert and JAS - I don't see that
it came to a 'natural end' [whatever that means]. It ended because
the two participants have extremely different views both on Peircean
semiosis, and on the methods of arriving at those views - and could
come to no common ground. Yes, they were civil about it, and nodded
graciously and said nice things about each other - but the real issue
was: two completely different views on Peircean semiosis AND
methodology.

        Edwina
 On Tue 09/06/20 10:04 AM , g...@gnusystems.ca sent:
        Jon A.S., list,

        I can’t speak for Gary the moderator or anyone else on the list,
but I think the principles you’ve outlined here are pretty much
self-evident for any serious Peirce scholarship, and I would
certainly  prefer not to be subjected to further debates about them.
If a list member feels that he or she can advance the understanding
of Peirce’s thought by somehow ‘channeling’ him instead of
carefully reading and quoting what he actually wrote (and citing its
context), they are free to say so and to apply the results to
whatever special interests they have; but the rest of us are free to
ignore such posts  and any threads that may result from them.

        Personally I’d like to extend this a bit further and suggest that
experienced list members are obligated to ignore the kind of
“methodological criticisms” you refer to. I hope, in other words,
that list members who feel drawn into debate on such issues do their
debating offlist, as you suggest, and save the rest of us the trouble
of skimming and deleting such debates.

        I suggest this because such debates are a complete waste of time,
not so much for those of us who ignore and delete them, but
especially for newer members of the list who may not immediately
recognize their futility. They deserve more substantial content on
the Peirce list, and indeed require it if they are going to learn as
much from participation onlist as you and I did in our early years
with it. Your recent exchange with Robert, for instance, did feature
some substantial content, and didn’t get drowned out with
irrelevant debates — and came to a natural end before devolving
into fruitless repetition. For the sake of those relatively new to
the list, I’d like to see more of that. And for my part, I’ll
pledge not to make any more meta-posts like this one.

        Gary f.

        } Entering is the source, and the source means from beginning to
end. [Dogen] {

         http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ [1] }{ living the transition