Auke, List:

AvB:  Here we have in my opinion a typical example of the risks one runs if
only the words of the master count. The main risk is not a. an incorrect
understanding of Peirce, but b. of reality. Which of the two would count
heavier for Peirce?

Reality, of course; but this misses my point.  I already acknowledged
(twice) that there may very well be something in reality that conforms to
Robert's description; but if so, it is plainly *not* what Peirce calls "the
commens" (EP 2:478, 1906).

AvB:  man as a growing sign, being a token that is part of a common culture
and, as a person, not an individual, only survives in the measure in which
the commens or culture is enriched with interpretive habits.

The implication here that "the commens" is synonymous with "culture" is
likewise inconsistent with Peirce's definition.

AvB:  The commens for Peirce is, in short, too much colored by his
preoccupation with truth and too little with everyday business where the
truth seeking drive may be totally absent in favor of greed and other
motives.

That is an opinion, and even if valid, it does not change the fact that
Peirce invented and defined "the commens."  I find it misleading to use his
peculiar term to mean something else.

AvB:  If Peirce did have a thought A, and later had a thought not-A , we
may say that he indeed erred the first time with A, but as well that he did
err when he discarded A.

As I have said before, I believe that the proper approach--in accordance
with the hermeneutic principle of charity--is to assume that Peirce's
writings *never *contradict each other, unless and until this turns out to
be untenable.  At that point, I agree that a case can sometimes be made for
either side; but my default assumption is that his later writings reflect
his *more considered* views, and hence should be given *slightly *more
weight accordingly.

AvB:  Of course this leads to the question why he did abandon this
promising road of inquiry?

Peirce tells us in his Logic Notebook why he abandons the "intentional" (or
"intended") interpretant.  Again, I believe that he was experimenting with
different terminology and (to a lesser extent) different conceptualizations
for the *three *interpretants that he perceived to be *logically necessary*
counterparts of the one sign and its two objects, as demonstrated by
Robert's podium diagram and accompanying analysis.
Intentional/effectual/communicational was only one such attempt, and he
evidently found it unsatisfactory, perhaps precisely because it is too
specific to *human *semeiosis--like his later "sop to Cerberus" (EP 2:478,
1908).  Immediate/dynamical/final seems to be more readily generalizable.

AvB:  As a backwoodsman, his work is fragmentary going in and coming from
all kinds of directions.

I agree, which is why I sometimes go beyond his ideas myself; but I always
try to acknowledge when and how I am doing so.  All I ask is that others do
the same.