From: Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de>
Sent: 9-Jun-20 12:34
To: tabor...@primus.ca
Cc: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu; g...@gnusystems.ca
Subject: Aw: Re: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Way of Thinking (was Theory and
Analysis of Semeiosis)

Gary F., Edwina, List,

Isn´t it so, that there are topics, about which Peirce did not write so much,
but other writers did? For example, the online "Commens Dictionary" is named
after the commens, which was a major topic of the last discussions, but if you
look it up in the dictionary, there is only one entry about it (the "commens"),
and the three interpretants effectual, intentional, communicational, that
accord to the three interpreters utterer, interpreter, and both combined.

Peirce did not write much about interpreters. So I think it is useful to
compare him with e.g. Uexküll and systems theoreticians. For the advanced I
think it also is good to compare Peirce´s mathematics and relation logic with
other mathematics.

So I think, it is not a waste of time for new list members to not only read
Peirce, but- not "advance" and "channel", but compare his thoughts with the
thoughts of others. Because new list members may know other philosophers from
school or from voluntary reading, and not yet Peirce so well.

I still am struggeling with the two concepts of sign-as-representation, which
is "not a real thing" versus sign-as-event, which would be a real thing and
include the real things utterer and interpreter. I am close to asking myself,
is the more or less complete ignorance of the latter concept not a hidden form
of dualism??

Best,

Helmut

 09. Juni 2020 um 16:57 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca <mailto:tabor...@primus.ca> >
wrote:

Gary F,

I'll disagree with you. I think that debates about method are important. The
only 'method' I've seen that JAS outlines, is to provide quotations from Peirce
texts. But does interpretation of these texts consist only of repeating them
and declaring that 'it means this'? Rather Saussurian. Is such a method enough
to validate that particular interpretation? As some of us have been saying, as
a method - it is weak, and requires real life pragmatics [Secondness] examples.
Therefore - methodology is important.

So- one can have one's own ideology about semiosis - and, quite frankly, one
can support this personal ideology with many quotations from Peirce. BUT, these
quotations can be a complete misinterpretation of what Peirce was really
saying, because the quotations, lifted from the page, can take on a new meaning
in this 'new page'. That is - a lot of what we see here is all about 'special
interests' .. Now - who can evaluate whether these 'interpretations' are valid
to Peirce, or  valid for the personal 'special interest' ideology? That's not a
simple task.

When some of us, for example, ask repeatedly for real world examples of the
interpretations offered - and don't get them, are we supposed to accept that
the conclusions of this rather authoritarian method [I say this, and so, it is
so] - must be accepted as valid? Jon Awbrey's recent outline of methods was, I
felt, rather important and relevant to this situation.

With regard to the debate between Robert and JAS - I don't see that it came to
a 'natural end' [whatever that means]. It ended because the two participants
have extremely different views both on Peircean semiosis, and on the methods of
arriving at those views - and could come to no common ground. Yes, they were
civil about it, and nodded graciously and said nice things about each other -
but the real issue was: two completely different views on Peircean semiosis AND
methodology.

Edwina

On Tue 09/06/20 10:04 AM , g...@gnusystems.ca <mailto:g...@gnusystems.ca>  sent:

Jon A.S., list,

I can’t speak for Gary the moderator or anyone else on the list, but I think
the principles you’ve outlined here are pretty much self-evident for any
serious Peirce scholarship, and I would certainly prefer not to be subjected to
further debates about them. If a list member feels that he or she can advance
the understanding of Peirce’s thought by somehow ‘channeling’ him instead of
carefully reading and quoting what he actually wrote (and citing its context),
they are free to say so and to apply the results to whatever special interests
they have; but the rest of us are free to ignore such posts and any threads
that may result from them.

Personally I’d like to extend this a bit further and suggest that experienced
list members are obligated to ignore the kind of “methodological criticisms”
you refer to. I hope, in other words, that list members who feel drawn into
debate on such issues do their debating offlist, as you suggest, and save the
rest of us the trouble of skimming and deleting such debates.

I suggest this because such debates are a complete waste of time, not so much
for those of us who ignore and delete them, but especially for newer members of
the list who may not immediately recognize their futility. They deserve more
substantial content on the Peirce list, and indeed require it if they are going
to learn as much from participation onlist as you and I did in our early years
with it. Your recent exchange with Robert, for instance, did feature some
substantial content, and didn’t get drowned out with irrelevant debates — and
came to a natural end before devolving into fruitless repetition. For the sake
of those relatively new to the list, I’d like to see more of that. And for my
part, I’ll pledge not to make any more meta-posts like this one.

Gary f.

} Entering is the source, and the source means from beginning to end. [Dogen] {

 <http://gnusystems.ca/wp/> http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ living the transition