John, Jon Alen, list,

I am not interested in what might be the final version Peirce wrote on the
negation vs scroll isue. Even if John is right, the interesting point that
remains is not the actual history of Peirce's thought, but the systematic
problem it poses. It remainds me of Hempels confirmation paradox. Jon Alen
arguing the Peirce did not fall pry to it and John that he did.

Jon Alen provided an interesting quote:

CSP:  I often think that we logicians are the most obtuse of men, and the most
devoid of common sense. As soon as I saw that this strange rule, so foreign to
the general idea of the System of Existential Graphs, could by no means be
deduced from the other rules, nor from the general idea of the system, but has
to be accepted, if at all, as an arbitrary first principle,--I ought to have
poked myself, and should have asked myself if I had not been afflicted with the
logician’s bêtise, What compels the adoption of this rule? The answer to that
must have been that the interpretation requires it; and the inference of common
sense from that answer would have been that the interpretation was too narrow.
Yet I did not think of that until my operose method like that of a hydrographic
surveyor sounding out a harbour, suddenly brought me up to the important truth
that the verso of the sheet of Existential Graphs represents a universe of
possibilities. This, taken in connection with other premisses led me back to
the same conclusion to which my studies of Pragmatism had already brought me,
the reality of some possibilities. (R 490:26-28, CP 4.581,1906)

--

The interesting word being the emphasized interpretation. Jon Alen inserts in
his comment 'of the scroll' just after interpretation. I do not know on what

John wrote:

Familiarity does not imply agreement.  The writings prior to June 1911 have
some useful insights mixed with some obsolete material.  It's necessary to
evaluate them in terms of L231.

--

At the very least it is not necessary to evaluate the issue in terms of L231.
The dicision of what is obsolete or not must be based on a reality check and

Best,

Auke