Auke,
I apologize for my previous note.  I accidentally hit SEND
before I wrote anything.

JFS> Formal EGs are the
foundation.  As Peirce himself said, logic as semiotic is much broader.
It includes the methodeutic for analyzing and developing the immense
variety of the empirical sciences.

AvB> We have discussed
this point before.  It seems to me that you forget about speculative
grammar and only recognize critic and speculative rhetoric...

When I wrote "logic as semiotic", I implied all three
branches.  Then I emphasized methodeutic because I cited some slides and
articles that discussed methods for using EGs in applications to various
subjects.
Among other things, those applications showed how the
eg1911 version enabled a rather simple solution to an unsolved research
problem from 1988.  For over 20 years, some very good logicians were
unable to find a solution by using the algebraic notations for first-order
logic.
But the symmetric rules of inference (permissions) of
eg1911 indicated a direct path to the solution.  See slides 65 ff of
http://jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf .  After that solution was found, it could
be translated to any other notation for FOL, including any algebraic
version.
Moral of the story:  The iconic structure of EGs and their
rules of inference do not increase the expressive power of FOL.  But they
enable people to "see" or "imagine" reasoning steps
that may be obscured by the algebraic notation.  In this case, the scroll
would be "anti-iconic" because it is asymmetric, and the proof
depends on the symmetry of the rules of inference.
In any case, the
original topic of this thread was very narrow:  Peirce's EGs of 1911 and
their relationship to his earlier EGs.  For other issues, it's better to
start a new thread.