Auke, All:

AvB:  The interesting word being the emphasized *interpretation*. Jon Alen
inserts in his comment 'of the scroll' just after interpretation. I do not
know on what grounds.

Here is what comes right before the quoted passage.

CSP:  A conditional proposition is false only if the condition of it is
satisfied, while the consequent is falsified. For the proposition asserts
nothing at all in case the condition is not satisfied. So then it is only
if the condition is satisfied, while the consequent is falsified, that the
conditional proposition is false. But a proposition that is not false is
true. ... This reasoning is irrefragable as long as a mere possibility is
treated as an absolute nullity. Some years ago, however, when in
consequence of an invitation to deliver a course of lectures in Harvard
University upon Pragmatism, I was led to revise that doctrine, in which I
had already found difficulties, I soon discovered, upon a critical
analysis, that it was absolutely necessary to insist upon and bring to the
front, the truth that a mere possibility may be quite real. That admitted,
it can no longer be granted that every conditional proposition whose
antecedent does not happen to be realized is true, and the whole reasoning
just given breaks down. (R 490:23-26, 1906)

As I explained before, the interpretation that Peirce deems to be "too
narrow" in light of "the truth that a mere possibility may be quite real"
is that "every conditional proposition whose antecedent does not happen to
be realized is true."  Since "the *verso *of the sheet of Existential
Graphs represents a universe of possibilities," not just the denial of
actuality, a consequence (scroll) is not strictly equivalent to a composite
of two negations (nested cuts); he later explicitly reaffirms this in "The
Bed-Rock Beneath Pragmaticism" (R 300:48-50[47-51], 1908).  Technically it
only affects the revised *Gamma *EGs that use tinctures for different
modalities rather than broken cuts, not *Beta *EGs that use shading but
still conform to classical first-order logic as explained in R 670 and RL
231, unless the latter are adapted for intuitionistic logic.

AvB:  At the very least it is not *necessary *to evaluate the issue in
terms of L231. The dicision of what is obsolete or not must be based on a
reality check and the context of his thought and experiences. Not on what
is written last.

I strongly agree.  While I generally give more weight to Peirce's later
writings as presumably reflecting his more considered views, this does not
warrant summarily dismissing his earlier writings as "irrelevant and
obsolete."  Such an approach would be no more legitimate than relying
entirely on earlier passages and ignoring the later ones.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian