> John,
>

>> Op 30 augustus
2020 om 20:55 schreef "John F. Sowa"
<s...@bestweb.net>:

Auke, I agree with you about the issues and priorities.

>>     AvB> Peirce is multi facetted.  Each of us looks from a
particular
>> angle...  I am not interested in what might be
the final version
>> Peirce wrote on the negation vs scroll
issue...  I can agree with
>> you if we are discussing EG as a
formal system.

>>     Yes.  Formal EGs are the
foundation.  As Peirce himself said, logic
>> as semiotic is
much broader.  It includes the methodeutic for
>> analyzing and
developing the immense variey empirical sciences.

> We have discussed this point before. It seems to me that you
forget about
> speculative grammar and only recognize critic and
speculative rethoric.
> But if we abstract from the apprehension
of the sign as an object when we
> look with the detached eye of
the logician (the realm of critic), we must
> take care when going
to speculative rethoric to again direct our attention
> to the
role the apprehension of the sign as an object plays in our

processes of interpretation. We must acknowledge that each interpreter
has
> its own verso sheet. And, that this sheet determines as what
sign a
> representamen gets interpreted.

Auke

>>     AvB> In a sense when we interpret we look at the input
from all
>> logical perspectives.  Box-X running from 0000 to
tttt, or from
>> doubt to belief.

  Yes.  All versions of classical first-order logic are sufficiently
>> expressive to define all the patterns of mathematics.  But
the
>> eg1911 version (as stated in L231) has a simplicity and
symmetry
>> that makes the definitions easier to state and the
proofs easier to
>> discover.

For examples, see the slides I presented at an APA conference in
>> 2015 and extended with more examples for another workshop:
"Peirce,
>> Polya, and Euclid:  Integrating logic,
heuristics, and geometry,"

http://jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf .

>>     Note
that the two-dimensional shaded areas of eg1911 can be

generalized to 3-D shaded regions for proofs in solid geometry.
>> They could even be generalized to 4-D regions for
"stereoscopic
>> moving images", which Peirce
mentioned in L231.  Those
>> generalizations are not possible
with the 1903 scrolls or the 1906
>> recto/verso sides of a 2-D
sheet.

>>     Another important example is an
unsolved research problem that was
>> stated in 1988 and
remained unsolved until 2010.  Good logicians
>> failed to find
the proof because they made the same mistake that
>> Peirce
stated in 1893 (CP 4.76):  "For [the reader] cannot reason at
>> all without a monstrative sign of illation."  See the
proof with EG
>> rules in slide 65 ff of ppe.pdf.
>>
>>     Examples of signs of illation (or inference)
include Peirce's claw
>>     symbol for if-then in Boolean
algebra or his scroll in EGs.  Those
>>     symbols are
asymmetric, but the critical step for solving the
>> problem
of
>>     1988 is easier to discover with the symmetric EG
"permissions".

>>     As for the time
and date when Peirce discovered the simplicity and

generality of the eg1911 rules, compare R669, which ends abruptly
>>     shortly after 7:40 pm on 2 June 1911, to the completely
rewritten
>> R670,
>>     which begins on June 7. On
June 22, he began L231, which contains a
>>     complete and
polished version of the logic in R670.

>>     The
date of the discovery is interesting for Peirce scholars.  But
>> the
>>     power and generality of eg1911 is
demonstrated by the applications.
>> For

more examples, see "Diagrammatic reasoning with EGs and
EGIF",
>>     http://jfsowa.com/pubs/diagrams.pdf ;
"Reasoning with diagrams and

http://www.collegepublications.co.uk/downloads/ifcolog00025.pdf

>>     John
>>
>>     _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _
>>     ► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on
"Reply List" or "Reply All" to
>> REPLY ON
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to

peirce-L@list.iupui.edu .
>>     ► To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a
message NOT to PEIRCE-L but to
>> l...@list.iupui.edu with no
subject, and with the sole line
>> "UNSubscribe
PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at

>>     ►
PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP; moderated by Gary

Richmond; and co-managed by him and Ben Udell.