Jon Alen, list,

I don't see how the quote you provide could lead to the insetion of 'of the
scroll' after interpretation. I don't see any reason for it in that text.

It is very well posssible and more probable given the remark on common sense
and logicians that Peirce was pointing to a  curiosity that follows from FOL
from an interpretative or pragmatic perspective and looked at the matter in
those quotes from the outside.

best,

Auke