Tom, List:

I agree that the phaneron includes whatever is or could be present to the
mind "in any way whatsoever." Here is something that Peirce says about
predicates (and subjects).

CSP: Experience is first forced upon us in the form of a flow of images.
Thereupon thought makes certain assertions. It professes to pick the image
into pieces and to detect in it certain characters. This is not literally
true. The image has no parts, least of all predicates. Thus predication
involves precisive abstraction [elsewhere *precission*]. Precisive
abstraction creates predicates. Subjectal [elsewhere *hypostatic*]
abstraction creates subjects. Both predicates and subjects are creations of
thought. (NEM 3:917, 1904)

The question that sometimes comes up is whether we are still practicing
phaneroscopy once we start *interpreting *the phaneron by predicating
attributes of it. The very first word of this excerpt is *experience*, the
aspect of the phaneron that is "forced upon us" as "a flow of images,"
which we convert into predicates and subjects as "creations of thought,"
implying semiosis throughout. On the other hand, "predication involves
precisive abstraction," and as we will be discussing later in the slow read
of De Tienne's slides, prescission is an indispensable tool of phaneroscopy.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the two questions that you posed, hopefully
prompting some further reflection and discussion.

Thanks,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian