Edwina, List:

ET: I don't agree that Peirce reduced matter to a separate entity, an
isolate Secondness, ie, 'brute reaction.

No one is claiming that he did. The point is that where nothing *exists*,
there *cannot be* any matter since there is nothing "which offers
resistance" and "reacts against forces." By contrast, there *can be*--and
according to Peirce, in the "infinitely remote" beginning there *was*--mind
without matter as "a chaos of unpersonalized feeling," which is *real *but
whose mode of being is *not *existence.

ET: Remember his view that protoplasm not only feels but shows all the
capacities of Mind. [6.255]. And his 4.551 claim that 'thought is not
necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in the work of bees, of
crystals and throughout the purely physical world".

Indeed, and why is that? According to Peirce, precisely because matter is a
peculiar sort of mind; i.e., everything has *always *been mind, but some of
it eventually *became *what we call matter.

ET: His dictionary definitions are intended for the general public and are
not, to my understanding, part of his theoretical outlines.

As Jon Awbrey rightly noted (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-09/msg00217.html), Peirce's
dictionary definitions are intended to record the usage of terms at the
time when he prepared them. As such, they provide extremely valuable
insights into their meanings where he employed them himself, since
presumably he wanted his writings to be understood properly by others.

ET: That is, my reading of his cosmology is that BOTH Mind and Matter
co-appeared and co-evolved, working together. Neither is primordial.

This is not a reading of *Peirce's *cosmology, it is an assertion of a
*different* cosmology. Where does he ever *explicitly *state that "BOTH
Mind and Matter co-appeared and co-evolved" or that "Neither is
primordial"? As John Sowa rightly requested, "For any claims about what
Peirce believed, please give exact quotations." Otherwise, there is no
reason for anyone to treat these claims as valid interpretations of *his *
thought.

Regards,

Jon S.