Helmut, list

        1] Because my reading of Peirce is that neither Mind nor Matter are
primordial, does not mean that 'something' must be primordial! Why
should it be? My reading of Peirce's cosmology is that nothing is
primordial. He's very specific that before the Big Bang- there was
nothing.

        2] JAS's rejection of my reading of Peirce that Matter and Mind
cannot exist without the other, is to erroneously define this as
'Neutralism', where both are independent and on a par. But Neutralism
is NOT my reading of Peirce's hylopathic monism. Most certainly, Mind
and Matter, in my reading of Peirce, are not independent of each
other or on a par.

        3] I don't see that a primordial force is a 'beautiful hypothesis!
Why should it be?

        Edwina
 On Sat 25/09/21  3:24 PM , Helmut Raulien h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
 Jon, Edwina, List,    You (Jon) wrote: "Again, if somehow neither
mind nor matter is primordial, then something else must be
primordial. What else could there be?"   Buddhists believe, that
there has not been a beginning (and will be no end), so I guess, they
think, that for them primordiality itself is not for granted. To
believe in a beginning (and in an end), means to take the primordial
for granted, and of course this "what else" must be God, and
therefore mind. On the other hand, Tibetan buddhists (Sogyal
Rinpoche: "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying") speak of the
"primordial clear light". But I don´t know, if they mean
"primordial" in the sense of "preexisted". Biologists know the
parallelity between ontogenesis and phylogenesis, but is that a
general rule? Does "primordial" necessarily mean both, higher
typological class level, and temporal origin? In Peirce´s
encyclopical definition (You, Jon, have cited, thank you, as for
every part of your for me, and us all, I am sure, completely valuable
research!), it is both. But, is the "both", the comma, an "or"- or an
"and"- both?   All in all, I more and more am tempted to tend towards
your, Jon´s view, but I remain sceptical, and think, that your,
Edwina`s view is unrefutable and well founded too. But, why not
accept a quite plausible and beautiful hypothesis? Er- maybe, because
beauty may be dangerous? Like Femme Fatale, Flowers of Evil, religion
wars? Now I am overstrained by my own associations. Overstrained, but
  Best, Helmut           25. September 2021 um 20:10 Uhr
  "Jon Alan Schmidt"
 wrote:     Edwina, Helmut, List:      ET: But my reading of Peirce
is that neither [mind nor matter] can 'exist' without the other.
But that is an invalid reading of Peirce, because he explicitly
rejects "placing the inward [mind/form] and outward [matter] aspects
of substance on a par," which "seems to render both primordial" (CP
6.24, EP 1:292, 1891). In another manuscript, he explicitly states
that his synechism restricts the available alternatives to either
materialism or idealism--"The paradox here has always been that  mind
and matter are of disparate natures. But the maxim of continuity will
say: this disparateness is a mere matter of degree. Either mind is a
peculiar kind of  matter, or else matter is a peculiar sort of mind"
(R 936:3, no date).   Again, if somehow neither mind nor matter is
primordial, then something else must be primordial. What else could
there be?        ET: I don't think that 'effete mind' means that
Matter is a subclass. To me - it means that Matter is 'cemented'
Mind; i.e., it is so entrapped within the organizational patterns of
Mind such that it doesn't have much freedom or power [it's effete] to
do anything outside of those patterns.      But that is not how Peirce
defines "effete mind." It does not mean that matter is "entrapped
within" mind, he explicitly affirms instead that "matter is a
peculiar sort of mind ... mind so completely under the domination of
habit as to act with almost perfect regularity & to have lost its
powers of forgetting & of learning" (ibid). "I have begun by showing
that tychism must give birth to an evolutionary cosmology, in which
all the regularities of nature and of mind are regarded as products
of growth, and to a Schelling-fashioned idealism which holds matter
to be mere specialized and partially deadened mind" (CP 6.102, EP
1:312, 1892).      ET: But Mind only functions/exists within Matter
so, it has its limits as well.      Please provide an exact quotation
where Peirce explicitly affirms that mind only functions/exists within
matter. Otherwise, this belief cannot be accurately ascribed to him.
   HR: I think, that Peirce's texts leave space for different
interpretations.      Sure, but not all interpretations are created
equal--there are valid interpretations, and there are invalid
interpretations, i.e., misinterpretations. There is no valid
interpretation of Peirce's writings that would accurately ascribe to
him the belief that mind is not primordial. Of course, anyone is free
to disagree with him about this, as Edwina clearly does.   Regards,
    Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA Structural Engineer,
Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt