Frances to listers...

This curiosity of mine is about the term "intermediate" as used by
Peirce in the passage quoted below. It is a thread however that seems
related to the topic. The use of the term "intermediate" by Peirce may
of course have been merely a casual one, rather than strictly a
categorical one. It is tempting however to align it categorically and
thus tridentially as mediate and intermediate and mediate, where the
intermediate might embrace the dynamic and energetic and clearly the
indexic. Nevertheless, the intent by Peirce might have been to broadly
include both indexes and symbols under the raw intermediate umbrella.
There is also a clear distinction here in the passage between the
immediate and the direct, which presumably are not to be identified
as similar, because the term "immediate" is not used.

My access to digital versions of Peircean writings is limited, but it
would be interesting to seek and find out how many occasions the term
"intermediate" appears in his texts, if indeed it has not already been
done and posted to the list archive.

"The necessity for a sign directly monstrative of the connection of
premiss and conclusion is susceptible of proof. The proof is as
follows. When we contemplate the premiss, we mentally perceive that
that being true the conclusion is true. I say we perceive it, because
clear knowledge follows contemplation without any intermediate
process. Since the conclusion becomes certain, there is some state at
which it becomes directly certain. Now this no symbol can show; for a
symbol is an indirect sign depending on the association of ideas.
Hence, a sign directly exhibiting the mode of relation is required.
This promised proof presents this difficulty: namely, it requires the
reader actually to think in order to see the force of it. That is to
say, he must represent the state of things considered in a direct
imaginative way." (Charles Peirce, Collected Papers, CP 4.75)