part of what has made "race" -- and "gender" for that matter -- so confused,
etc. is that it regards the *social* assignment of meaning to traits that
are biologically inherited-- so people say "what are talking about, of
course gender is biological" because we see anatomical differences, but the
meaning of those differences is what is socially constructed.  people have
had a hard time making these distinctions.  so we either get the pure social
constructionist position, and some people feel uneasy about that because
they see anatomical differences, or we get the other extreme and people know
that isn't right.  racism takes physiognomic differences and assigns social
meaning to them.  the meaning is arbitrary and socially constructed and has
no basis in anatomy or biology, etc.  but there are biological reasons for
having whatever color hair you have, etc.  of course, now it is possible to
change one's biological features, too, so sex changes, and lightening skin
color, and etc., and this has to be dealt with and factored in.  but
constructing discrete categories out of what is essentially a continuum
(skin shades) is pure social construction, but a social construction that is
mediated by physiognamy? I still think Harry Chang in the special issue of
Review of Radical Political Economics had this right how many years ago now,
but we are still going around in circles some of us some of the time on all
this.  Of course, Chang wasn't the only one or the first or anything. the
discussion below is still sloppy in these regards, because, e.g., the
sentence that includes the categories "Black people" and "whites"
uncritically assumes that these term themselves are unproblematic with
regard to the very issues the sentence is discussing. which individuals end
up in the "Black" category and the "white" category depends. so it is true
that the shade of one's skin is biological but the categories that are
mediated by this are not, and either is the social meaning assigned to them.