Friends,

It is one thing to discuss the Sendero Luminoso movement in Peru and to try to get
through all of the propaganda put out about it.  It is also one thing to understand
that people ravaged by brutal repression will often react vioently when they are
organized.  It is one thing to say that the U.S. has a lot of nerve to condemn
violence by oppressed peoples.  However, it is another to condemn a person who
provides us with some additional information about Sendero and the Peruvian left
(always badly divided as I remember) and raises issues about the class background of
Guzman and SL leaders and their record to date.  It is another to suggest that
anyone who raises such issues is some comfortable jerk in a wealthy country without
a real clue.  Believe me I am no enemy of revolutionary violence.  Allende and even
the Sandinistas (before so many of them abandoned thier cause) could have uses more
of it or some of it.

Michael Yates

p.s. I would like to see some more discussion of Mao and the Cultural Revolution.