is it possible that a lot of the out-sourcing is a substitute for importing skilled
workers (under the special visas whose name I've forgotten) to do the work here?
Jim D.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: joanna bujes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Sun 3/28/2004 9:44 AM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Job flight

        Some experts see benefits being derived from outsourcing. Exporting
        routinized jobs such as programming can lower costs for companies and
        give them the cash to invest in higher-skilled, more innovative jobs in
        the United States.

        _________________

        This is such a joke. I won't even comment about how they're going to
        take their profits and invest them in "higher-skilled, more innovative
        jobs in the U.S."

        More interesting is the thesis that outsourcing is profitable for
        hi-tech companies. I wonder how they figure out that profit. The very
        large hi tech company I work for has outsourced a number of projects to
        India and China. I know first hand that the results of this off-shoring
        were nothing short of disastrous. Because of communication problems and
        inept management, the work done offshore had to be done over, about
        three times so far. This not only cost more time-wise and money-wise,
        but in the meantime, my company shipped products that looked like they
        were done in somebody's garage (while charging "enterprise" prices) and,
        I suspect, considerably tarnished their reputation and credibility.

        I am beginning to seriously question the "efficacy" and even the long
        term "profitablity" of hi-tech outsourcing.

        Joanna