Not really.  Initially the H1 and L1 visas facilitated the temporary and
some permanent import of skilled workers.  This was pre-Y2K era on-site
work.  The work was largely low-end--maintenance, debugging, some nominal
systems integration.  Physical presence was vital.  Now with learning and
(Indian) government spending on (physical and educational) infrastructure
and availability of modern communications, a lot of the work can be done
off-shore in India at much lower cost.  There is considerable efficiency,
despite some examples to the contrary, as hundreds of engineers can be
obtained rather quickly and hundreds quickly mobilized to complete a
project on tight.  The modular approach combined with partitioning of
projects allows considerable flexibility.  And let's not forget Indian
engineers are high on the learning curve.  So in a dynamic sense we can
expect them to get better as they handle more complex projects.

cheers, anthony

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa, Associate Professor
Comparative International Development
University of Washington                        Campus Box 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA

Phone: (253) 692-4462
Fax :  (253) 692-5718