On Wednesday 26 September 2007 4:40 pm, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> > How about I take a different approach here, and ask...
> >
> > What would be the recommended way to minimize the number of automated
> > CPANPLUS test failures, knowing that I -have- to have Apache::Test
> > installed in order for the tests to run successfully?
>
> Write a Build.PL with a compatibility Makefile.PL and make sure that
> Apache::Test is in the MakeMaker PREREQ_PM.  You appear to be doing that so
> it should work.  Is it not?

No.

The gotcha is, that when "perl Makefile.PL" is run, if Apache::Test isn't
installed at -that- moment, it doesn't set up the test harness properly.

Even if the build tool goes out and downloads and installs Apache::Test, it'd
need to come back and re-run "perl Makefile.PL" again before attempting to
build/test/install my package.

CPANPLUS doesn't do that.

Instead, it just goes back and runs "make" after its installed the
dependencies.

Thus, -none- of the test suites succeed, as the harness wasn't set up properly
when "perl Makefile.PL" was run.

Sucks.

--
Graham TerMarsch