On 9/27/07, Graham TerMarsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok... THATS a useful answer. :)
>
> So... if I set up my Makefile.PL to check for the presence of any modules that
> I require for configuration (e.g. "Apache::Test") and then simply "exit
> 0" -before- the Makefile is written, it'll abort the build/test and -NOT-
> record a failure?  -=SCHWEEET=-  That's what I'm looking for.

And, sadly, I was wrong.  :-(

CPAN doesn't FAIL during the PL stage, but continues into the "make"
stage and then it becomes a FAIL when the Makefile can't be found.
But I committed a patch to the CPAN source this morning to fix this
bug and have things just stop after the PL stage if no Makefile was
generated.

I'm hoping Andreas can put out a new release quickly and I'll use that
as the prereq for CPAN::Reporter 1.00 (also coming soon).  Over time,
as CPAN::Reporter installations are upgraded, that should provide one
solution to this sort of problem -- at least for CPAN based testing.
(Still don't know about CPANPLUS.)

> It'll also mean that automated test reporters like CPANPLUS will stop
> filing "failure" reports when its really the test environment that's lacking.

CPANPLUS is a totally separate distribution that does its own test
reporting.  The most common smoker engines use it.

  I just uploaded CPAN::Test::Dummy::Perl5::Make::PLExit to see what
the smokers say.  I got some immediate FAILs from Andreas'
CPAN/CPAN::Reporter smoker which is what tipped me off to the bug.  I
haven't seen any FAIL reports yet from CPANPLUS based smokers.  There
usually are reports within 24-48 hours, so we'll see by the weekend if
CPANPLUS does the right thing.

> So... would anyone care to fill me in on why we don't have CPAN(PLUS) et al.
> re-running "perl Makefile.PL" after dependencies are installed?  I'm thinking
> it might cause problems for users who are installing packages that prompt
> them for input during that run, but also think that it'd be useful for cases
> like this where Makefile.PL has to change its configuration based on whether
> or not the dependencies are installed.

There's a new META.yml field under development called
"configure_requires" to account for that case.  The latest CPAN.pm
supports it.  Again, I don't know about CPANPLUS.

David