On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Jan Dubois <j...@activestate.com> wrote:
> AFAICT there is no good index for backpan though.  I have to audit diffs
> to older module versions quite often, so I have my own tools, and found
> that even the links are not comprehensive; I have to crawl both
> backpan/modules/by-module and backpan/modules/by-authors/id to make
> sure I find *all* the different versions.

I believe that brian foy created a pretty comprehensive one -- I think
he may have actually investigated how module files changed from
tarball to tarball.  (E.g. Module $VERSION was the same in two
tarballs, but the file MD5's are different).

The hard problem is that PAUSE doesn't have any
maintainer/co-maintainer history -- so given a historical
DAGOLDEN/Foo-Bar-1.23.tar.gz and RJBS/Foo-Bar-1.23.tar.gz, there's no
way to tell that one or the other was the official indexed version.
You can look at who has maintainer rights *today* and assume from that
who was authorized when the tarball was uploaded.

I don't know (yet) how many collisions like that there are. I suspect
it's a relatively small number that can be flagged and resolved with a
bit of research and email.

-- David