On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM, David E. Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com> wrote:
> Well, are you using the same version ranges spec for the META.json file?
> Seems to me that this might result in a stand-alone library that, given
> prereqs, could determine what should be installed. Then the existing clients
> could use it too, eh?

That's the idea, though I've not worked out the details.  But for
example, I'd like to use the configuration output data (MYMETA.json)
to determine three sets of modules (tarballs, really):

  - latest versions on CPAN
  - currently installed versions on developers machine
  - minimum versions on CPAN that satisfy the prereq specs

It's possible that version ranges could conflict, in which case some
or all of those might not be achievable.  Ideally, the dependencies
would be determined against a specific version of perl without
additional libraries installed.

Then, given one of those three ordered list of tarballs that satisfy
all prereqs, it should be possibly to repeatably deploy an application
with a known set of module versions, even as the "latest" on CPAN
evolves.

Of the three sets, users would have to decide which suit their
specific needs/purpose, or could substitute versions, etc.

That's my vision in a nutshell.  I have some people in NY that I'm
going to do some brainstorming with and then I'll try to get a proof
of concept code out next month.

-- David