r> ]- what if we don't use "locks", but multple versions of the same variable
r> !!! What I have in mind :
r>  If there is transaction-based variables THEN we can use multiversioning
r> mechanism like some DB - Interbase for example.
r> Check here : http://216.217.141.125/document/InternalsOverview.htm
r> just thoughts, i've not read the whole discussion.

Doesn't really help. You just move the problem to commit time.

Remember, the final result has to be _as if_ all of the interleaved
changes were done serially (one thread finishing before the other).

If this can not be done, then one or the other thread has to be notified
of deadlock and the relevant changes thrown away.

(As a former boss liked to say, "Work is conserved."

or perhaps TANSTAFL)

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183