On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:16:53PM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:06:13PM -0600, Garrett Goebel wrote:
> > Or if the leading = really must be required:
> >
> > =*> level1
> >     =>> level2
> >         =+>>> level3
> >               =*>>>> level4
> >         =>>>  level3
> > =>  level1
>
> What about this for bulletted lists:
>
> =item * level1
> =item ** level2
> =item *** level3
> =item **** level4
> =item *** level3
> =item * level1
>
> and this for ordered lists:
>
> =item # level1
> =item ## level2
> =item ### level3
> =item #### level4
> =item ### level3
> =item # level1

FWIW, I would not want ot have to count '#'s in order to tell how many levels of
indentation I was getting.

But maybe we could hit a middle ground?

=item 1# Foo
=item 2 Bar
=item 2 Baz
=item 3 Jaz
=item 4 Quux
=item 1# Raboof

Produces this:

1. Foo
    * Bar
    * Baz
        * Jaz
            * Quux
2. Raboof

(Yes, I deliberately used 4 space indent instead of 8; I wanted to make sure I could
fit 4 levels of indentation on one line.  Holy wars are two doors down at /dev/null.)

I propose that the author would be required to be consistent about the use or non-use
of '#' at a particular level, just to keep things clear.

--Dks