At 07:18 PM 11/24/2003 +0100, Jerome Quelin wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Jerome Quelin wrote:
> > * How does one launch an exception? trap an exception?
> > * How does one create a class? instanciate an object?

> With the exception of the second bullet item, these are generic
> parrot FAQs rather than IMCC/PIR specific ones, so ought to be put in
> a different FAQ or doc section...

The last 2 bullet items will also be specific to IMCC. The syntax for defining a class will trigger IMCC to construct and freeze the class with the bytecode at compile time which means it wont generate any Parrot instructions. That is how it currently does constant subs. Also, exceptions in IMCC will certainly be a briefer syntax, maybe even try/catch.

I think the real question is: do we want to promote imcc as _the_ target
language for compilers targetting parrot?

The answer is yes.

If the answer is yes (as I thought it was), then I don't think we need a
pasm faq...

We still need one but I do not want to maintain it, myself. Simon Cozens already wrote some stuff that could be used as a start. Of course there is also Perl6 Essentials. :)

We DO need a Parrot Programming FAQ. I propose the IMCC faq functions
as just that. We can still have the current Parrot FAQ, which is
great at answering generic questions for people who haven't swallowed
the blue pill yet. (Or was it the red pill, I vaguely remember Dan in a black
trenchcoat and glasses, and guns.....)

-Melvin