(not on the list, please Cc me in replies.)

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 08:49:20PM -0400, John Siracusa wrote:
> PAR doesn't compile or precompile to bytecode, it packages, temp-expands,
> and runs.  It's closest to item #2 in my feature list, but it's something
> very different than compiling down to bytecode.

Minor nitpick: "pp -f Bytecode" does precompile to bytecode.  But as we know,
Perl5 bytecode is platform-dependent, slow, and somewhat fragile.

> Within the realm of what it does, PAR is pretty amazing.  But the internals
> are (necessarily) very ugly and fragile.

Well, PAR largely depends on the @INC-hook mechanism to do what it does,
although in the pure "exe-only" mode it could also do without that, depending
on extracting to temp and adding the temp dir to @INC instead.

> I suspect the PAR author would love to list the things he needs in the perl 6
> core to implement "PAR6" in a reliable, straight-forward manner.

Well, having a core inflate() (or maybe the whole Archive::Zip API) would
be a very good start.  Compiling Zlib into core is perhaps a Parrot problem
instead of a Perl6 one.

Co-existence of multiple versions of loaded modules on the same machine.
This is probably already in Perl6.

Core support for reading (and seeking) HTTP/FTP sources would be pretty cool,
but not required.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/